How do I freeze my spuds ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Thanks for the replies . I do like mcains spuds but think i need to play with my own a little more . I'll post the results and may add pictures ^_^
I play with my spuds often, but I'm not posting pictures :okay:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Just tucking into some jacket potato, frozen and microwaved in 5 mins . Expensive way to buy spuds so I’m wondering how I can do my own ?
Just buy any large potatoes from your local veg aisle, wash them, [meanwhile put the grill on] cut a cross in the skin and microwave for 8 minutes [or until soft], rub the skin with vegetable oil and season them with salt, black pepper and paprika for colour... grill for a minute or two to crisp up. and if you want to be poncey push the sides in to open out the crossed skin and add a big knob of butter onto the top for that cafe effect...

Takes ten minutes... perfect.

[Edit: I see there are many similar replies! Enjoy your home made ones Cuchilo... can do the same with sweet potatoes too]

Last edited:
MIL used to buy them frozen spuds. I was like why, you can microwave a fresh spud as quickly. Won't be crispy, but I doubt a frozen one will be either/

During the first lockdown, when we over-70s were supposed to stay at home as much as possible, a kind neighbour offered to do my shopping for me.

Unfortunately on giving her my first shopping list she translated '4 or 5 large baking potatoes' as a box of four frozen, ready-baked potatoes - which cost £1.99, weren't big enough for a substantial snack, let alone a meal, and which instructions gleefully told me were already fully cooked so required ONLY six minutes each in the microwave from frozen.
Huh?
Four big fat juicy fresh ones, locally grown, cost well under half that price, don't take up space or electricity in the freezer, are much more versatile than frozen ones and take no longer to 'prepare' - with much better results!

Top Bottom