How do I get higher gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
parton84 said:
I was cycling down a slight hill the other day in top gear with my legs going like billio, feeling like they weren't having an effect doing 30.6 mph, Surley I shoud be able to pedal faster than this. I will check my teeth tomorrow and get back to you's. Thanks for the advice so far guys

30 mph is pretty good for a hybrid or MTB. If your leg strength is growing you could fit a slightly larger big ring, which will give you a few more mph but be honest - how often will you ride that fast? Most of your riding should be in the middle and big ring, using the full range of gears. You could fit a wider-range cassette but this will only help you on hills as 11 is the smallest and all you will achieve is more overlap between the gears.

This website might help to explain: http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.sherman/shift.html

RedBike

I don't think its that simple.

I think 48t is the maximum recommend chainring size to use with a MTB front mech and a road bike front mech wont work with your existing front shifters.

I'm sure you could get a larger chainring to work if you're willing to accept the granny ring might not work correctly.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My brother rides a road bike triple on his commuting mtb bike not sure if he needed to change his font mech though or just reposition it. A MTB chainring connects to four arms not five like a road bike in general although there may be exceptions, so you would have to find a larger mtb chainring, I don't know how common these would be.

Top Bottom