How do i get my wheel centre on the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisb1357

Über Member
Hi all,

I have noticed my wheels seem to be a little off centre to the frame as i have removed them and put back a week again when i had a puncture. Is there a way to ajust the quick release etc on the wheels to centre them etc.

Chris

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
This happens to me on a few occasions. I just role the bike around in a big circle a few times and the wheel goes back in properly.

Norm

Front or rear? Front is quite straightforward, it's just a matter of wiggling until it's straight. The rear, depending on the angle of the drop-outs, can be a little more challenging.

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
Just done both the back and front wheels and all seems ok now. Cheers for the tips and glad to learn something from here.

Had to change and move the brakes again but seem ok now

Chris

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
May i ask what you mean about Drop-outs so that i know what it means?

Chris

Norm said:
Front or rear? Front is quite straightforward, it's just a matter of wiggling until it's straight. The rear, depending on the angle of the drop-outs, can be a little more challenging.

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
Still getting use to the break systems on this hybrid. So use to the old style many years back.

Well all sorted now and cheers people

Chris

Norm

chrisb1357 said:
May i ask what you mean about Drop-outs so that i know what it means?

Chris
Oops, sorry, Chris.

Dropouts are the slots in the frame / forks into which the axles locate. On the forks, they are generally vertical and it's pretty easy to get the axles properly located, especially if you either have a work stand or you turn the bike upside down.

On the rears, though, some frames have horizontal slots (especially frames for fixed / single speed bikes), some are vertical and some are at an angle between the two. Because you have the tension in the chain / derailleur system, pulling on one side, it can be a struggle to get the axle properly aligned. Once it is tightened, you can check the gap either side of the seat and chain stays to see how well you have done it.

On the names thing, I have the following page bookmarked:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bicycle_parts

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
HLaB said:
I've found the best way to line up the wheels, is to put them in the frame as usual but undo their quick release, then clamp on the brakes and whilst holding the brakes close the quick release.

+1

Yep, release the QR, apply brake, close QR, simple.

Top Bottom