How do I know that my current bike is right size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrius.B

This might be a bit of a silly question, but is there any way to know if my current bike is the optimal size for me without having access to other size bikes to try for comparison?
It feels OK, but according to the bike frame size chart, it is supposed to be 5 cm too small for me (my frame is 49cm, when I am 5 foot 8 inches and supposed to ride 53-54cm). The strange thing is that it feels good.
Anyone willing to shine some light onto this? :smile:

officially - it sounds too small. Something like a 52 might be more appropriate. But without seeing a pic of you riding, it is impossible for anyone to say for certain.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
A small frame can be made to fit a larger rider by using longer and different angled stems along with showing more seatpost. Inside leg measurement and torso and arm length are of importance as well as height. All that said a 49cm does sound small for someone of your height with fairly standard dimensions.

OP
OP
Andrius.B

Andrius.B

Actually, the stem is lengthened. The seat is also set a bit back, and is at a height at which my leg is fully extended and locks when I place the heel on the pedal.
I guess I just have to come over the psychological side of riding a smaller frame. :smile:
But then on the other hand, I have never tried to ride a 53 cm frame, so even if it was better I wouldn't know.

HLaB, you must be right: if it feels right it is right.

oh dear so how do you know when its perfect

perfectionists know that nothing is perfect...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Is it a 49 cm sloping top tube or 49 cm measured to where the seat tube would meet the top tube assuming the TT was level ?
manufactureres measure differently and different frames have different TT lengths depending on what sort of riding the bike is aimed at.
Why not pop to a bike shop and do some window shoppingand try some for size ?

OP
OP
Andrius.B

Andrius.B

oh dear so how do you know when its perfect
Usually I am never fully satisfied with anything.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.
I will make an effort to actually find a bike of my theoretically correct frame size and see if there is any difference.

OP
OP
Andrius.B

Andrius.B

Is it a 49 cm sloping top tube or 49 cm measured to where the seat tube would meet the top tube assuming the TT was level ?
manufactureres measure differently and different frames have different TT lengths depending on what sort of riding the bike is aimed at.
Why not pop to a bike shop and do some window shoppingand try some for size ?

Its a 49cm sloping toptube design frame. Says 49cm on the frame sticker.

OP
OP
Andrius.B

Andrius.B

So basically, different manufacturer frames of "same" indicated size might actually be quite different practically? Interesting... I will definitely do some more reading on this.

Top Bottom