How do I pump a tyre with a Woods valve??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doseone

Guru
My son's new bike has Woods valves. I've never come across them before and there doesn't seem to be enough valve protruding above the barrel to fix my track pump on to. I also discovered that if you undo the barrel all the air escapes within about half a second:angry:

I'm guessing I probably need some sort of valve extender, or am I missing something obvious?

snorri

Legendary Member
Did he get a pump with it?
Pull the short length of flexi tubing out of the handle of the pump, screw the male end of the tube into the threaded hole in opposite end of the pump. Remove the valve cap, if fitted, and screw the female end of the flexi tube into the valve. pump up tube as normally until hard enough then reverse the process with the flexi tube.
Not sure if you can get adaptors to fit the modern pumps.

OP
OP
Doseone

Doseone

Guru
Thanks Snorri - there was no pump with the bike, I use a track pump - I've got bikes with both Schraeder and Presta valves and the track pump has a separate hole for each of those. The Presta hole would seem to fit the Woods valve, but there is not enough length of valve above the barrel to get it to fit on.

I think the easiest thing in the long run may be to change the tubes to ones with Presta valves!

snorri

Legendary Member
I think the easiest thing in the long run may be to change the tubes to ones with Presta valves!
I think that would be the best answer for the longer term:thumbsup: .
If you did get an adaptor, there's a good chance you will be unable to find the adaptor when you need it, if you're anything like me:biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm surprised you remembered Woods valves rich p:whistle:
You and I remember pre-pneumatic tyres snorri

Chris S

Legendary Member
I just use the Presta end on a track pump. Woods valves are one-way so does anybody know how you inflate the tyre to the specified pressure?

tyred

Legendary Member
Anything that works with presta should work with woods but not necessarily the other way around.

You check the pressure with the old fashioned "thumb" test. As you only tend to find Woods valves on roadster type bikes, they should not be pumped up rock hard. It defeats the purpose of having a nice wide tyre.

sidevalve

Über Member
Check good ol' E Bay out for an adaptor [and maybe an old fashioned bike pump]. Cheaper than 2 new tubes.

Top Bottom