Recommendations for a tool for fitting a training tyre that won’t break.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I bought a training tyre ages ago. I could not get the wretched thing onto a wheel, despite my sacrificial offering of the skin of several knuckles and a plastic tyre lever. So I’ve never fitted it, and it hangs in the cellar, taunting me.

This seems a waste, so I had a look at those tyre fitting tools that are like weird pliers, but they all seem to be plastic, and the reviews are generally mixed, with a decent number of complaints that they snapped. Given that I’m only after something because although I’ve fitted many tyres over the years, I cannot get this one to go on at all, I was wondering if the brains of CC can recommend something that will do the job without breaking?

Cheers.

Ajax Bay

Guru
HTFU

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/C5GIcSIthrn/
Can confirm this TLR tyre was brand new: saw it unboxed last week.

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Talcum powder helps to get a stiff tyre on. A dusting around the bead of the tyre and some inside the rim.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The VAR tool works on most tyres but Kinlin 16" rims defeated it for all but the slackest tyres.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I bought a training tyre ages ago. I could not get the wretched thing onto a wheel, despite my sacrificial offering of the skin of several knuckles and a plastic tyre lever. So I’ve never fitted it, and it hangs in the cellar, taunting me.

This seems a waste, so I had a look at those tyre fitting tools that are like weird pliers, but they all seem to be plastic, and the reviews are generally mixed, with a decent number of complaints that they snapped. Given that I’m only after something because although I’ve fitted many tyres over the years, I cannot get this one to go on at all, I was wondering if the brains of CC can recommend something that will do the job without breaking?

Cheers.

work smarter, not harder - talc

Big John

Guru
The tool I think you're referring to is one I've been using for years. Mine is what was called back then a 'tyre brace'. Mine is made by Simson, no P. It's been a godsend from day one, whenever that was. It's ONLY for putting tyres on, not taking them off. I use steel levers for that. It's not a miracle worker and you have to practice but within reason it'll get any tyre on providing, of course, it's the correct sized tyre for that rim. I carry it in one of my back pockets on every ride. It needs practice so don't expect it to do the job for you but it's never let me down 👍

Jody

Stubborn git
I always use a spoon handle mostly now as my tyre levers regularly disappear

Reminds me of the time I left a few spoons on top of my mums car after changing a tyre. They were never seen again :rolleyes:

Spoons are my choice also

I have these but you need to be careful. I put a slice of innertube on the rim to protect i slide out once the tyre is on

jimmy-pry-bar2_1600x900.jpg

Top Bottom