How Do I Remove This Crank And BB ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrRidley

Or rather what tool do i need ? got a tool set from Santa this year, but i'm beginning to wonder if this a specific tool that i don't have, i have managed to remove the non drive side but i can't see how to remove the drive side crank, any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• PIC_0964.JPG
    PIC_0964.JPG
    297.1 KB · Views: 94
  • PIC_0965.JPG
    PIC_0965.JPG
    372.6 KB · Views: 93
  • PIC_0966.JPG
    PIC_0966.JPG
    322.2 KB · Views: 206
  • PIC_0967.JPG
    PIC_0967.JPG
    361.8 KB · Views: 152

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The axle looks like it's attached to the drive-side crank - like the Shimano Hollowtech 2.
Get a light hammer or mallet, and gently tap the non-drive side axle - it should just push through and out.

adscrim

Veteran
[QUOTE 1286228"]
To remove the BB take it to the local bike shop. They will have a special two handed wrench to remove it. You can do it on your own with a spanner and special locknut but it can be a real pain to get off.
[/quote]

It's a GXP set up with an external BB in which case each side will attach directly the frame independantly. All you need is a cup wrench for an external BB, which if you don't have you should be able to pick up for less than a tenner.

adscrim

Veteran
[QUOTE 1286230"]
True but they can be a bugger to get off. The LBS will have a two handed one so I'd still say go down to the LBS regardless.
[/quote]

You wouldn't go to the LBS to loosen any other thread. All you need to remember is left loosey, righty tighty.

adscrim

Veteran
[QUOTE 1286232"]
What? Excellent idea for a removing a BB with a reverse thread - well done that man.:rolleyes:
[/quote]

You're right, I should have added that the left hand side is a reverse thread but better than paying the LBS to change my bottle cages.

Svendo

Guru
To add detail to the already excellent answers, it's a truvativ Elita crankset, which uses a Truvativ/Sram GXP external bottom bracket. SRAM own Truvativ and their cranksets all use the same BBs. It has the same dents round the outside (16 I think) as Shimano, so uses the same tool as Hollowtech II to remove and install. The BB has a different, smaller I think, axel size, so the BBs are not interchangeable with Shimano Hollowtech II BBs.
The exception is that Hope make shims/adapters so their shimano-sized BB can be used with Truvativ/Sram Cranksets. It may be possible to use these adapters with other makes of BB too, so as to convert a shimano sized BB to truvativ/sram GXP size.

OP
OP
M

MrRidley

Once again CC'ers come up trumps with a great range of info, got the crankset off but the BB will have to wait till i get the right tool.

OP
OP
M

MrRidley

Jim, I've got the correct tool if you want a lend of it. Good excuse for a ride to Stirling?

Thanks anyway Sam, but i've ordered the one from the above link, anyhow a ride up to Stirling via the Tak at this time of year is not very appealing for some reason..... i do need the miles though :biggrin:

Top Bottom