How do I research the history of a property ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,

I'm moving house in the near future and am interested in learning about its history. A internet search tells me it was built in 1885 to house miners. but that is about it. I would like to find out who lived in it and anything else through it's history.

Thanks all

Brad

alicat

Legendary Member
You can check the census records for a particular property, I think.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We inherited a flat in Aberdeen and the title deeds gave us more or less the whole history of ownership. It is currently in limbo as covid has caused massive delays in getting estimates and work done as well as getting needed bits like new windows.
I also bought an old shed which turned out be originally a smithy among other things and this also gave me the whole history.
May be different in England tho'.

classic33

Leg End Member
You say it's a miner's cottage, what about the records of the mining companies in the area at the time it was built.

There may also be records of rents being paid, and by who.

Drago

Legendary Member
Land search for previous owners?

Local historical society?

Tony Robinson?

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I assume from the original post that the property is in the West Midlands. If so, then in all probability the property will be registered at the Land Registry as compulsory registration applies to an almost all-inclusive list of land transactions these days, and the West Midlands was one of the first counties in which full registration was achieved by the Land Registry. Your solicitors will be requesting the title number of the property and will be routinely obtaining official copies of the register and the title plan before you proceed with the purchase, and will be able to supply you with these. If they try to charge you, it will almost certainly be much cheaper to apply for your own copies. (Not up to date with charges, but probably less than a tenner for a set). Anyone can request official copies from HM Land Registry.

When you read the register, as far as ownership is concerned, it will show only the current registered proprietor. Extracts of various relevant title deeds may be set out on the register though, or various deeds might be referred to as being "copy filed". In the latter case, you can order a set of official copies of all deeds referred to on the register as being "filed". Generally, the older they are, the more interesting they are, and some of the older conveyances and leases contain interesting old plans as well as referring to various previous deeds and parties that might be of interest to you.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hello all,

I'm moving house in the near future and am interested in learning about its history. A internet search tells me it was built in 1885 to house miners. but that is about it. I would like to find out who lived in it and anything else through it's history.

Thanks all

Brad
We have all the title deeds to our property. I'd always imagined it to be the same for all properties.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I assume from the original post that the property is in the West Midlands. If so, then in all probability the property will be registered at the Land Registry as compulsory registration applies to an almost all-inclusive list of land transactions these days, and the West Midlands was one of the first counties in which full registration was achieved by the Land Registry. Your solicitors will be requesting the title number of the property and will be routinely obtaining official copies of the register and the title plan before you proceed with the purchase, and will be able to supply you with these. If they try to charge you, it will almost certainly be much cheaper to apply for your own copies. (Not up to date with charges, but probably less than a tenner for a set). Anyone can request official copies from HM Land Registry.

When you read the register, as far as ownership is concerned, it will show only the current registered proprietor. Extracts of various relevant title deeds may be set out on the register though, or various deeds might be referred to as being "copy filed". In the latter case, you can order a set of official copies of all deeds referred to on the register as being "filed". Generally, the older they are, the more interesting they are, and some of the older conveyances and leases contain interesting old plans as well as referring to various previous deeds and parties that might be of interest to you.
Only for sales and conveyances completed after 1984, if the property had,'t been sold in the interim there won't probably won't be a title registration held at The Land Registry just paper deeds, but they will be available to the owner unless there is a mortgage in which case the mortgage lender will have them.

Top Bottom