How do I research the history of a property ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Partly correct.... Land Registry controls a computerised Index Map of the whole of England and Wales, and registered properties are shown coloured pink on that map. I recall that, whenever I looked at the Index Map for anywhere in the West Midlands, the vast majority of the residential properties are already pink, indicating that they are registered.
That's useful to know- thanks Donger.

This is down to me thinking 1984 was a few years ago... It's a real shock to realise that it's actually 36 years!! :blush:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
That's useful to know- thanks Donger.

This is down to me thinking 1984 was a few years ago... It's a real shock to realise that it's actually 36 years!! :blush:
I know what you mean. I started in the Land Registry in 1983 and put in 38 years before coming to the realisation that I'm not cut out for a career in land registration. After two years away from it, I'd forgotten all about the 2002 Land registration Act and thought it was about ten years ago!

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes, when we paid off the mortgage on our Mine built terrace in 1999 the deeds showed it had been built in 1889, but the owners were the colliery owners up to the NCB's takeover, The house was then sold, presumably to the then tenant and at that point we could see the name of the buyer. But there was no tenants' names whatsoever. Byegad Towers, which was built in 2016, when we bought it, has electronic deeds, we have a single piece of paper saying it's ours, and as we have no mortgage, there's bugger all else for future generations to wonder who Lord and Lady Byegad were.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Land Registry controls a computerised Index Map of the whole of England and Wales, and registered properties are shown coloured pink on that map.
@Donger, is it possible to access the Index Map on-line or do you have to be a registered conveyancing solicitor to pay to access it?

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
@Donger, is it possible to access the Index Map on-line or do you have to be a registered conveyancing solicitor to pay to access it?
Anyone can find out a title number of an addressable property via Land Registry.Gov.UK (at a small fee). As to actually viewing the index map, it's limited to conveyancers with accounts only, I'm afraid. Beyond that, I think I've outserved my usefulness, as I've spent two years trying to forget about the place!

Top Bottom