How do I...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
That is the best I have been able to do for him with the parts available at home.... He will have to wait until next month's wage packet (only a few days away) before we can replace the chainset... gives me time to find something suitable (square taper, 130BCD 50/39/30 triple for an 8 speed with 175mm crank arm length)...

IMG_0138.JPG

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Go fer a cheap shimano - ally big ring, mid "n" granny made of a special magnetic material designed to resist wear in a mystical fashion, lets see him mullah that.175 is probably about standard for crank length and as for any extra weight if someone could ride on that ring I don't think they'd notice.
Nice to see a Woman fixing a fellas bike though, Does he tell his mates?

Acyclo

Veteran
The bolt may have been fitted using Loctite Studloc or similar this is a superglue type product that is destroyed by moderate heat (about 240 C ) using force will probably snap the bolt before it releases . Just use a small blowtorch or hot air gun to GENTLY heat the bolt head as you don't need to get it that hot
This stuff is used to stop bolts coming loose due to vibration but if you are unaware of it you can wreck stuff easy-peasy

Fasteners treated with standard thread lock compounds are easy to remove with hand tools. If heat is required then I would guess that thread lock had not been applied. Try it for yourself and see.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
As a ex motor vehicle technician ( SAAB Main Dealer 76-80 ) I do know what I'm talking about.
An example: My next door neighbour was replacing a head gasket on a Daihatsu and in attempting to remove the crank pulley nut by locking the cam belt with a wad of rag he and another (beefy) neighbour had snapped said belt. On my way to the shop I stopped for a natter to be told this story of woe and told him of this cure "Oh" he said "I've not got a blowtorch but I've got a hot air gun" That should do it I told him and after using it for 10 minutes his wife called him in for his dinner.
Next morning apparently he returned to the car and thought to set the crank to TDC before having another go and the nut promptly unscrewed as he simply tried to do this He thanked me profusely
Loctite is not like the blue stuff they use on brake disc bolts Caliper pivot bolts and the like it can only be destroyed by heating and if you don't believe me have a look at the label on the bottle
Far Eastern companies are very fond of this product!

young Ed

Veteran
can't see any photos but the ones in the OP :sad:
but from the photos in the OP your OH looks like he is pretty good with a claw hammer and the angle grinder! :laugh:
that really is awful almost as bad as the cage form my BB bearings!
827_1925_zps987a240e.jpg

Cheers Ed

Acyclo

Veteran
Yeah its good stuff but if you don't heat any nut bolt or stud first you'll probably shear it before it "lets go"
(this may be a second reply as I'm not sure what button I hit)
Rubbish. I though you 'knew about this stuff'?

Top Bottom