How do you carry a frame while riding?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
GrahamG said:
Jesus, anyone would think that this is some totally insane thing to do based on the above suggestions. Just wear the main triangle like a messenger/shoulder bag. It's a quick errand run not some extended countryside blast FFS - and trust me, when you've got a load of metal sticking out from your person, cars give you plenty of room.
Oooer?!;).

jimboalee

GrahamG said:
Jesus, anyone would think that this is some totally insane thing to do based on the above suggestions. Just wear the main triangle like a messenger/shoulder bag. It's a quick errand run not some extended countryside blast FFS - and trust me, when you've got a load of metal sticking out from your person, cars give you plenty of room.

"It's only a short trip round the corner. I won't have to wear my seatbelt".

jimboalee

"Jesus, anyone would think that this is some totally insane thing to do based on the above suggestions. Just wear the main triangle like a messenger/shoulder bag. It's a quick errand run not some extended countryside blast FFS - and trust me, when you've got a load of metal sticking out from your person, cars give you plenty of room."

"My worry would be coming off/being hit and having a load of metal sticking INTO my person..."

:smile:

tyred

Legendary Member
Take hacksaw, cut frame into 8" pieces and put in saddlebag. When you reach your destination, braze it back together again. Simples.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Well, I dun it. (No thanks to certain people) FWIW, I ended up strapping it to my back - head tube down, seat tube ended up horizontal across back of the neck. Leather belt round the bottom half & waist, plus an old inner tube knotted across chest. Wasn't oo bad really. I mean, I wouldn't recommend it for a touring holiday, but for five or six miles, it was ok.

GrahamG

Guru
andy_wrx said:
My worry would be coming off/being hit and having a load of metal sticking INTO my person...

jimboalee said:
"It's only a short trip round the corner. I won't have to wear my seatbelt".

Yeah because pootling along on a bicycle is one seriously hazardous thing to do...

jimboalee

GrahamG said:
Yeah because pootling along on a bicycle is one seriously hazardous thing to do...

Picture1.png

gbb

Legendary Member
Done it with several things...and each time i always think....if i come off, i'm in trouble. And you get easily unbalanced...but i do it anyway.
Wheel clamped between my hand and the STIs...ok for a few miles, but it does unbalance you, and makes emergency braking 'interesting'.
Frame over the shoulder..prone to slipping.
Wheel strapped to my rucksack, quite easy really.

Turbo slung over my shoulder.....it seemed like a good idea at the time ;) I made it, but nervously :ohmy:

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I did try 'putting it over my shoulder like a messenger bag', but it felt very unsafe and uncomfortable. Strapped firmly to my back, it was fine. The only problem - and it was a problem - was that it made it more difficult to look back. I say 'more difficult' - not impossible. It was a bit tricky, but doable. Other than that it was absolutely fine. No problem. At no point did I feel in any danger of 'falling off and breaking my neck'.

To be honest, if you strapped it on the way you described and only did a short distance, carefully, then it probably isn't much of a risk.

Personally I wouldn't like to recommend to someone that they do it, because if there was an incident I'd feel some responsiblity.
You decided to do it and accepted the risk yourself - fine.

I carried a big tub of tile fix&grout back from B&Q last week - it sat on top of the carrier OK, but it's a round tub and even though I had 4 straps holding it on, they slipped and it fell off as I rocked the bike climbing a steep hill.
It weighed a ton, the bike was definitely top-heavy so I was careful cornering, and I avoided potholes for the sake of the wheel : probably was a silly thing to do, but you do it...

In South East Asia you see people carrying the most amazing things on the backs of their bikes or mopeds.

However, how often do you see POB's in this country riding back from the supermarket with three or four full shopping bags hanging off the handlebars ? Or riding one-handed and carrying the bags in the other ?
- that's asking for trouble as it affects handling, braking, balance, can catch in wheel, etc.

I'm never that enthusiastic about carrying my housekeys in my jersey pocket, just where my kidneys are...
However a friend happily carries a bunch of allen keys in his back pocket !

Top Bottom