How do you carry your drinks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

Those Camelbak things easy to clean?

That thought makes me a bit reticent about having one.

If it gets manky, use some Milton sterilising solution and leave it overnight. There are special brushes available for cleaning out the tube.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I bought my first mountain bike in the early nineties when I returned to cycling. I quickly found that I didn't really like the taste of bovine excrement on my bottles and quickly bought a Camelback.
It's still going strong after all these years and the only bit I've ever replaced is the bite valve as they do get a bit minging after a lot of use.
Mines stored in the freezer when not in use and Milton'ed every 'Preston guild'.

BRounsley

Über Member
You can buy a “mud cap” for Camelbak Podium bottles.

Camelbak Podium bottles are excellent, dishwasher safe, doesn’t taste of plastic and the mud cap works a treat. Some of my bottles are 5 years old and still going strong.

The only issue is the price can leave a bad taste in your mouth as the cap is an additional £5!

I'm coming at mountain biking from touring/audaxing and so as I have with my road bikes, I stuck a bottle cage on the down tube for a drinks bottle when out riding. Unfortunately, in practice this bottle gets covered in mud and so I don't fancy drinking from it.

How do people carry their drinks when riding on a MTB? Should I get a covered bottle, or carry the liquid on my back?

Camelbak is the only way for mountain biking, as far as I'm concerned.
After every ride the bladder gets rinsed in clean water. The bladder is then bagged and thrown in the freezer for storage. It never smells or tastes "funky", and only takes a minute to thaw in clean hot water for the next ride. Simples. :-)

barrowbiker

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Sa
Camelbak is the only way for mountain biking, as far as I'm concerned.
After every ride the bladder gets rinsed in clean water. The bladder is then bagged and thrown in the freezer for storage. It never smells or tastes "funky", and only takes a minute to thaw in clean hot water for the next ride. Simples. :-)

barrowbiker
Saved me typing that out!

surfdude

Veteran
in a pint glass at any pub i find on the way .

Motozulu

Über Member
Yeah Camelbak. Hawg for all dayers/long rides and a Lobo for quick 2 hour rides.
I use the Milton tabs to sterilise too and use water with a High5 Zero tab chucked in.

Sucking cow/fox/deer poo off a bottle was never a big ambition of mine ^_^

Top Bottom