How do you clean a nest box?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Our nest box was occupied by blue tits earlier this year. Eleven eggs, nine of which hatched. They survived for a long time due to the tireless work of their parents, all observed by our camera in the nest. Three fledged and were picked off by a jay, and disgusting cats. The rest died in the nest box, I think due to some horrible mite infestation. Anyway, the corpses of the chicks are still in there, and I didn't hook up the tit-cam to have a look.

I can tip out the bones and the feathers, easily enough, but what should I do then? I don't think that the next tits would want to smell Febreze. Boiling water?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have the same question only our box was occupied by tree bumblebees. I understand these don't return and another swarm won't use a dirty box. I'm very keen to attract some more next year.

I was thinking of scraping out the rubbish and then plunge in boiling water, leave to soak and scrub out.

MikeG

Guru
Whatever you use now will have worn off by next spring. I'd just use a watered-down bleach. There'll be no remnant smell in 6 months time.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
To start with it is important that you buy boxes you can get into to clean to start with. This is a good time of year to clean them because birds use them to shelter in over the winter.

I clean them the easy way. Tip out all the old straw and nesting. Give them a brush out and then I take a gas blow torch and let the burner burn out any crap, bugs or disease that may be in there. I suppose that takes the place of disinfecting, which I do not like to use. I don not know what goes in disinfectant. But I am quite sure that it cannot be all that enviromentally friendly.

We do this every year and we have birds nesting every year.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Use the nestbox as kindling and buy a new one? Keep the nestbox-builder in business.
Do not attempt this with a Schwegler!!!! :okay:

this year I made a bird box from some cut off panels I rescued from an installation our company did. Ive had no residence as yet and am wondering if I have situated it incorrectly or the box isn't attractive to any particular species.

guidance needed I think, over to the CC bird watchers.......

[QUOTE 5373089, member: 9609"]out of direct sunlight and not too high - 6 to 12 foot is best hight.

what size hole did you use ? if its too big they won't use it as bigger birds can get can get in and evict them
25mm blue tits, coal tits
28mm great tits, tree sparrow
32mm house sparrow, nuthatch[/QUOTE]

Thanks @User9609

im thinking I need to move it, as it gets a lot of direct sun in the afternoon.

also, the hole may be too big. I can do something to reduce that.

not quite back to the drawing board :okay:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Blue tits etc are naturally hole-nesters. There is, presumably, a finite supply of natural holes. So how does most of the blue tit population cope? Presumably they just nest in a hole that was used a previous year with no cleaning?

Top Bottom