How do you cope with hills?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User19783

Having ridden most events this year on fixed, including an SR series and Paris-Brest-Paris, I think I can say that most hills are manageable. Yes you do need a bit more strength on the steeper ones, but that comes quite quickly.
Hi,
Sportive's around here, will not let you ride a fixed gear bike, , or has the rules changed?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You can't road race on fixed, so I suspect British Cycling approved sportives probably have the same rule.

I went on a 60 mile ride with one of my local clubs today as the only SS rider. We took most of the back roads which tend to be more hilly, and most of them were fine.
When I was near the front I could get my run up and push on past the rest of the group, then wait for them to catch up at the top. My work was much harder when I was in the middle or nearer the back of the pack - I could not safely go around all of them, so tended to get boxed in and then had to stick at their slower pace, grit my teeth and grind it out.
Either way though, all hills were dispatched (with varying comfort) and a few eyes were opened to the positives of single speeds :-)

J

Top Bottom