How do you fit a saddlebag?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

I bought a nice little saddle toolbag from Asda for £5 this morning (Asda have some really good deals in there) and I can't figure out how to fit it.

It has a 2 straps at the top for fitting onto the rail of the saddle (I presume) and one strap which fits onto the seat post. The problem is, the straps at the top (they're velcro by the way) come loose and leave the bag dangling. The bag isn't even heavy either, all that's in there in a pair of sunglasses.

Any ideas on how you fit it?

5am Asda trip, I need some panniers:
U7X1j.jpg

The bag:
jGxWz.jpg

Bag again:
jGxWz.jpg

Seatpost strap:
LoVwS.jpg

Attachments

• jGxWz.jpg
    jGxWz.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 46

Night Train

Maker of Things
From what I can work out from the photos the top strap needs to be pulled out from the plastic D ring and then passed over the saddle bar. It then goes back through the D ring and is pulled over itself to stick.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

From what I can work out from the photos the top strap needs to be pulled out from the plastic D ring and then passed over the saddle bar. It then goes back through the D ring and is pulled over itself to stick.

You're a saviour, thank you! Neat little bag for the price. Another question, where would my rear light go?

06fRe.jpg

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I've now lost 2 rear lights which have bounced out of the web loop.... as the clip works loose out of the webbing as you ride along.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Good point Peteaud... I'll not lose another!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Clever use of small zip ties might secure the light better, as a back up to the hook.. It won't be easily removable for anti-theft, but then it won't be easily removable for theft either. Use a cheapy pound shop light and it won't matter so much if it's nicked.

Alternatively, most rear light mounts are angle adjustable, with enough shim, you can probably mount one (or more, one either side is good) on the seatstays (tubes that go down from seatpost to rear hub)

Or if you've got a cycling jacket with a loop on the back, wear your light on yourself.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have a light loop on the Brompton fit saddlebags I make. I haven't, personally, lost a light whist riding but have knocked one off a few times while folding the Brom.

I think the loop is a good option but I would prefer to have a light properly fixed to the frame.

Er Jazloc looking at how you have fitted the bag I think the saddle needs to go up so that the bag fits between the saddle rails and the wheel without rubbing on the wheel (see The Doc's bottom picture for an idea of how it should look).

Edit: Ignore what I have just written as I have just realized that your pic of the bag is fitted on a different bike to the one behind:blush:.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Er... I think that wheel you're seeing is another bike upside down behind - either that or jazloc's bike has pedals coming out of its top tube... Look at the first pic with the shopping, the saddle height is fine.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Wrapping an elastic band around 1 side of the clip on the light is more than enough to stop the light slipping off and still makes it easily to take it on and off by opening the clip. :smile:

A lot of LED lights are very directional though, fixing them to the stays gives you much better control over the angle, but will have a blind spot where the wheel/tyre gets in the way.

Top Bottom