How do you identify a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Are there any particular 'bits' that suggest one maker or another? I have an old racer that came without manufacturers' decals - I suspect it was made to order for a works team - but I've no idea by whom or out of what. There are no obvious giveaways that I can see - no fancy cutout under the BB, eg, or engravings on the cutouts. Any suggestions welcome.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
is it possible to ID it somehow using the frame no. if there is one?

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's not that old and it has no lugs at all. Indeed, it was the clean, sleek elegance of the framework that first caught my eye - so no clues there. And I've never managed to find a frame no. I'm not being very helpful am I...? Thanks for your suggestions tho' - much appreciated.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Dropouts, steerer tube, BB, seat tube - drawn a blank. Strange. This ain't no BSO - it's a nice light steel frame, SKF BB fitted, came with full 105 groupset...

Globalti

Legendary Member
There must be dozens of frame makers in the UK alone making frames for shops and other brands.

Edit: At one time there must have been....

PpPete

Legendary Member
Someone recently posted a link to a table of tube thicknesses. If you can get a gauge far enough into seat tube to measure thickness (beyond any "butting" it might give you a clue as to the material the frame is made from, if you can find that table.
If nothing else it gives you an idea as to how much it's worth sepnding on componentry for it?

Top Bottom