Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Mainly by plastic

• Cash and plastic at the same time.

• Barter with other goods

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
I always pay by debit card as I don't like carrying cash.
If, for example, somebody owes me money and they repay me in cash then if necessary I'll pay for e.g. my shopping with the cash and anything left over with my card. That way I get rid of the cash (saves me going to the bank) and I don't have shrapnel knocking about that I'll just spend in dribs and drabs on crap. If you don't have cash in your pocket you aren't tempted to spend unnecessarily. You're hardly going to nip in the paper shop to buy just a mars bar with a debit card are you?

adscrim

Veteran
The last time I bought some road shoes, I had been given a donation towards them as a birthday gift. I passed the cash across and paid the remainder on a credit card.

Brains said:
Better hurry up and use the remaining cheques, they are going to be phased out of use in the UK by mid 2012.

Really, I can't see that happening here in the US. They love their check books (the word cheque doesn't work over here). US banking is about 20 years behind the UK. No direct deposit and no chip and pin on cash cards. Last year, while visiting family in Cornwall, a bunch of shops couldn't/wouldn't take my US style swipe card. One shop had to drag out their old credit card imprinting machine.

As i own a taxi company i tend to buy most things with cash but there was an occassion when i needed to pay part cash/part card ? .. and i cant believe that no-one has mentioned this yet

It was when i bought my first proper mountain bike and to this day my wife still thinks it was alot cheaper than it actually was because the reciept from my debit card said so :evil:

Simon

gavintc

Guru
Having only recently arrived in Italy, it took some time to get debit cards sorted out and we used cash for almost all purchases. It is definitely the way to save money. Instant purchases become harder and folding cash in the pocket is psychologically a lot harder to part with than a swipe of the card.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Muddyfox said:
was when i bought my first proper mountain bike and to this day my wife still thinks it was alot cheaper than it actually was because the reciept from my debit card said so :biggrin:

Simon

Hmm - that was going to be my suggestion as well...:biggrin: as only part of the price would show up on the statement

Top Bottom