How do you treat your 'friends' that use their phones when driving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
My employer banned use of phones whilst driving. Even hands free. If we rang someone and they were driving we told them to let us know when they were stopped and return the call then.

My wife still used her hands free right up until the minute we saw a woman sail past us stopped at a red light and screech to a halt in the middle of a busy junction. She was distracted talking on hands free.
She could have killed someone just for the sake of a chat.

Just don't do it kids.
We had exactly the same thing, cretin in a Vauxhall Vivaro shot between us and a motorcyclist, emergency braking, we were sat at a red traffic light, I could see the Samsung Mobile in the tw*ts hand as his van screeched to a halt about 50 yards through the lights with all four wheels locked up, the Police were dealing with a car they'd pulled about 400 yards behind us and one of them ran up to see what was going on to find the motorbike on the floor, the rider looking shocked, and me checking the side of my car, the van missed my car by mm's, and had skimmed the bikers right foot and smashed the right foot peg off, however despite me telling the plod what I'd seen, this idiot had hidden the phone and they really couldn't be arsed looking for it, so he got away with it, other than an insurance claim to repair the bike, and recover it.
The biker could quite easily have been killed.

jay clock

Massive member
You can send an automated text to say "Can't talk now I'm driving I'll call back later", but it still involves touching the screen! surely if the designers had a setting you could switch on that would send the text if you rejected the call (using the steering wheel control on hands free) that would be better all round, and easier than blocking signals in the car.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/iphone/iphae754533b/ios

iPhone allows automated text message of that type

Most people are ignorant of the dangers on our roads, and the risks they pose to others, sadly other's just don't care, you need to appeal to people's capacity for empathy, if they are sociopaths, then your sheet out of luck. We need our government to show leadership on this issue. Taking a stand against the status quo is bold, expect to suffer many a cold shoulder unless you take the time to calmly and rationally put your case forward. Reacting in the way you did was counter productive, whilst it might appear reasonable to yourself, you've harmed your own cause by shutting down the conversation around the issue. @I like Skol may benefit from practicing a form of discussion termed 'non-violent communication'. Look it up if you are interested in influencing others with more success.

Last edited:

John482

I'm not a fan of phone use while driving either. I just let it ring. I don't really text at all. I just carry an old style flip phone as so called "smart" phones track you every where you go. I know there is a message you can set up that will play telling the caller that you are driving and can't answer the phone. That said, this is how I handle things. That's me, I think it's a good idea I think it would be good if everyone did it etc etc. It's human nature to think our ideas are best , they're tried and true to us. But, there is a deeper and more important issue here. We must never try and force our ideas , our ways on others. That is the way of the tyrant. Always fight that both in ourselves and in others as hard as we can. Freedom is the most precious thing of all.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
But, there is a deeper and more important issue here. We must never try and force our ideas , our ways on others. That is the way of the tyrant. Always fight that both in ourselves and in others as hard as we can. Freedom is the most precious thing of all.

In the context of road safety and the deaths of five people daily on UK roads, I think our ideas need to forced much more strongly on those who would put others at risk. Using a phone while driving impairs a driver's reaction time to levels far worse than that of a drunk driver.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
You are entitled to voice your opinion. But I'm not sure (in terms of etiquette) that continuously talking over your wife's conversation was the right thing to do, morally. You've made your feelings known, and both your wife and her friend are then free to do as they please as long as no-one was breaking the law. I agree hands-free is very unsafe but it's not against the law. If it is not against the law then it just becomes something you disagree with.

John482

In the context of road safety and the deaths of five people daily on UK roads, I think our ideas need to forced much more strongly on those who would put others at risk. Using a phone while driving impairs a driver's reaction time to levels far worse than that of a drunk driver.
You could be right, I can't really say in terms of the UK. I've never noticed much of a problem in the US where I live but I don't live in a big city either.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

How should we be treating people we know that use a phone while driving? IMO it should become an activity that is as socially unacceptable and discouraged as drink driving. I'm sure that there have been studies that show handsfree phone use to be at least as dangerous as drink driving?

Would not disagree with that.

If they are using "hands free", then, technically, they are not breaking the rules, but, personally, if any of our offspring, friends or acquaintances phone me while driving, (hands free of not), I politely end the conversation and ask tell them I. will speak to them later, when they have finished driving.

Ajax Bay

Guru
We must never try and force our ideas , our ways on others. That is the way of the tyrant. Always fight that both in ourselves and in others as hard as we can. Freedom is the most precious thing of all.
Communities work best if people work to a set of rules. Some rules are more important than others and I'd say rules proscribing activities which generate unacceptable risk of hazard to others - for example the rules on the use of mobile phones, or driving when 'under the influence' by drivers of vehicles - need to be enforced, for the common good. This is not 'forcing our ideas on others' or tyranny. This is enforcing community rules (wherever in the world, including the USA) against the tyranny of individual pseudo-freedom, so everyone, including an errant driver in this case, is kept as safe as reasonably practical. With freedom comes responsibility.
In the same way but different, mask wearing circumstances reduces the risk to others close by of viral infection (even though of minimal benefit to the wearer). I presume that the sensible element of USA's population, including you, have grasped that, helped by their President-elect. It is a small infringement of freedom, but a worthwhile one. (NB Discussion of mask wearing is 'off topic' - but I'm using it as a topical example of the sensible restraint on freedom to which people across the world can relate.)

Top Bottom