How do you value a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robrinay

The following tends to apply to any item for sale. The problem with selling large items on eBay is the cost of shipping or the hassle of collecting the item. These factors tend to depress their true value. Smaller items don’t tend to suffer from this issue.
If you search in ‘completed items’ and use the sort feature to list them highest to lowest price you’ll get a reasonable idea of the ‘trade value’ of the item but not the retail value. The only way to get a good idea of retail value is to find a dealer with a shop who is selling or has preferably sold an identical item. Finally there are differences in value by country. For example if you have a Moulton F frame or an apb for sale then be prepared to ship it to Japan where the value will be doubled. don’t ever set a low reserve on an item - it’s better to list it with a start price you won’t be too disappointed with receiving if you only get one bid. You can always re-list and reduce that price if it doesn’t sell first time. Alternatively you can keep it as a spare if you don’t get any sensible bites.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help on this.
I think I'll keep it. Looking at other classifieds I think I'll lose more than I'd be happy with.
That's the thing ! Why should you sell the bike for less than you think it is worth . It could come in handy as a spare bike should anything happen to your other bike . You may be able to swap parts between your other bikes. Having more than one bike lessens the wear each one gets if you alternate your choice of steed. That is why I have more than one :whistle:

BorderReiver

Veteran
Mass produced carbon from any large manufactuer tends to loose value like a piano off a cliff as soon as it leaves the shop (or gets delivered!). "Artisan" niche stuff like handmade steel or titanium seems to do a little better provided you can find potential buyers who understand the product.

These days I either buy second hand or accept that I will keep stuff for a decade then strip it for spares. I still think it is a relatively cheap sport, especially in terms of cost per hour of enjoyment.

Bikes are going cheap these days unfortunately. As what others have said, price what you want for it. If it doesn't sell or has no interest, keep on lowering the price until it does gain interest.
Yes I understand that this is the case - that bikes are going cheap. I realise that bill appears to want a good price for a bike he wants to sell, but must admit I don't see this as unfortunate in the wider sense. Quite the opposite.

By the by, why is this? Overproduction? Lots of folk buying stuff on a whim then deciding that they don't like cycling, or the sort their bought bike caters for?

Best of luck with the sale bill.

On the bright side I am sure you know lots of places you can get a new beauty cheaply.

Last edited:
That's the thing ! Why should you sell the bike for less than you think it is worth . It could come in handy as a spare bike should anything happen to your other bike . You may be able to swap parts between your other bikes. Having more than one bike lessens the wear each one gets if you alternate your choice of steed. That is why I have more than one :whistle:
+1
When the weather's a bit dodgy and you don't have time to fix a niggle on one bike, hop on the other. I have a slight slippage on one at the mo. No probs, hop on the other main bike. I have getting on for ten I think. The most used by far are the cheapest (but quality) ones.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Good luck, baffles me too.. People want to pay 200 for a grand bike.

I like buying new bikes, i know I'm going to get nowt for it when i get bored or no longer need it.

My new Specialized Epic was a thousand pound off list, its already paid for itself in happy miles.. Love it.
My other bikes have become space fillers.

Best way to look at the loss, Its going to be cheaper than a divorce :laugh:

Last edited:

simonali

Guru
This thread caught my eye as I have offered to try and sell a bike or two for the widow of a cycling/walking buddy of mine who passed away recently. He had a nearly new carbon Wilier that can't have more than a few hundred miles on it and an old steel Roberts tourer. I've made it clear that used bikes don't sell for anything near what you paid for them originally so as to lessen the disappointment but still not sure where to price these bikes at?

wilier.jpg

roberts.jpg

This thread caught my eye as I have offered to try and sell a bike or two for the widow of a cycling/walking buddy of mine who passed away recently. He had a nearly new carbon Wilier that can't have more than a few hundred miles on it and an old steel Roberts tourer. I've made it clear that used bikes don't sell for anything near what you paid for them originally so as to lessen the disappointment but still not sure where to price these bikes at?

View attachment 476484

View attachment 476485
The rule of thumb I use for the Wilier type bike is, -50% overnight then -10% per annum but look at Ebay (or similar) to get an idea what they are going for.

I've no idea about the Roberts bike, you never know it may be a desirable collectors bike but don't get hopes up, perhaps Ebay or the like may give an insight too.

Good luck :okay:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Local pickup only on eBay = very low winning bid. Unless you're in central London, offer a postage option. Even if it's £40, you'll get far more bids.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I think this is very true. I bought my bike from Shpock from a guy who was a bit out in the sticks. It was quite a bit cheaper than anything similar on ebay and he still seemed to have had quite a few cheeky offers. Most people aren't prepared to travel to pick stuff up unless you are practically giving it away.

Top Bottom