How embarrasing ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Today I was riding my town bike back from the gym ... it has flat pedals without cleats so I can ride in my gym shoes.

I've been riding my road bike a lot, which has cleats.

So I pull up at a pelican (?) crossing, loads of people walking across, lights change, I go to pull backwards and downwards on the pedal (as one does with cleats to get a good powerful downstroke) ... my foot slips straight off the pedal, I go down and forwards, I whack (and I do mean really *whack*) my crown jewels on the headset, give a loud little scream ("Heep!") and 10 or so pedestrians turn round to see me staggering forwards with the bike and making a noise like, "Ooohyeahf*ckmeballs!" How funny for them. At my expense! The cheek ...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Excellent! Thanks for sharing that with us.

perplexed

Guru
Ouch!

I rang me nuts early one frosty morning, when my damp trainer slipped off the pedal.

Fortunatley, not many people around at 4am to see it...

Globalti

Legendary Member
I crushed one in a climbing fall, harness squashed it. It was swollen for a while then a few weeks later I jumped into the car and crushed it again. Had to have a scan to check it was OK. Embarrassing with half a dozen girl medical students watching.

I've switched back to flat pedals for that versatility and it is good to hear that others have problems with the switching back after riding clipless.

I have bruises all over my shins & legs but rather that than on my crown jewels :rofl:

My sympathies!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
XmisterIS said:
Today I was riding my town bike back from the gym ... it has flat pedals without cleats so I can ride in my gym shoes.

I've been riding my road bike a lot, which has cleats.

So I pull up at a pelican (?) crossing, loads of people walking across, lights change, I go to pull backwards and downwards on the pedal (as one does with cleats to get a good powerful downstroke) ... my foot slips straight off the pedal, I go down and forwards, I whack (and I do mean really *whack*) my crown jewels on the headset, give a loud little scream ("Heep!") and 10 or so pedestrians turn round to see me staggering forwards with the bike and making a noise like, "Ooohyeahf*ckmeballs!" How funny for them. At my expense! The cheek ...

And you looked just like your avatar!?!

GrasB

Veteran
I can ride on road pedals with normal shoes for a good 10 miles before I get sore feet. If I know I'm not clipped in then I'm as fast as anyone on flats off the mark & if I'm clipped in I can leave people on flats for dead. I'm kinda failing to see the extra versatility here.

A true Clipless moment!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Globalti said:
Had to have a scan to check it was OK. Embarrassing with half a dozen girl medical students watching.

It's only as embarrassing as you make it out to be! you could have been bold as brass and said in true Lord Flashheart style:

"All right Ladies, who wants to be first to scan the lurve magnet!?'

On second thoughts, scrap that idea.

Top Bottom