How exciting ... my 2nd 60 miler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RUTHIEBAV

I did the first, two weeks ago, in just under 5 hours and this one in 4 hours 15 mins.

Isn't it surprising how quickly fitness levels increase. On some hills I didn't get into the lowest gear (I've only got a double chainset), how exciting.

One very, very tired but happy bunny.

:rofl:
Ruth

Well done again Ruth. Up it slightly to 62.14miles and you'll have done 100km; the next target is 100miles ;-)

jamesxyz

Fab Foodie said:
Well done!
Getting to 100 miles now is mostly about pacing and fuelling yourself... you'll soon be there.

yep - and getting into the right frame of mind, as it can be mental challenge as much as a physical one - 6-8 hours is a long time to ride without stopping.

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

Fab Foodie said:
Well done!
Getting to 100 miles now is mostly about pacing and fuelling yourself... you'll soon be there.

Thanks. Trial and error spring to mind. I spent the whole time I cycled feeling sick because I ate a banana just before the start on top of a bowl of porridge and the taste kept coming back (sorry that sounds a bit gross).

I hate bananas. I did the same before my last ride but there was a few hours gap between the eating and the cycling which was missing this time.

...trial and error. Ruth x

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

jamesxyz said:
yep - and getting into the right frame of mind, as it can be mental challenge as much as a physical one - 6-8 hours is a long time to ride without stopping.

Thanks for the post.

That is a long time. I've never cycled for more than 5.5 hours. The last 10 miles of my 60 miler was incredibly painful and mentally dire. I'm going to stick at this distance for a bit and aim to do 100 next year unless I get a fitness spike! I'm not sure I could do it this year unless I was cycling with someone with 100 mile experience.

R x

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
RUTHIEBAV said:
Thanks. Trial and error spring to mind. I spent the whole time I cycled feeling sick because I ate a banana just before the start on top of a bowl of porridge and the taste kept coming back (sorry that sounds a bit gross).

I hate bananas. I did the same before my last ride but there was a few hours gap between the eating and the cycling which was missing this time.

...trial and error. Ruth x

I know what you mean. It can be a very personal choice, but you need to figure out what works for you.
I tried SIS 'GO' gels for the first time at the weekend and found they were a revalation! OK, bit gloopy but not too unpleasant to chugg-down, but they worked really, really well, a good boost!
Also like beef jerky too as well as jelly babies for constant nibbling, oh, and fruit-cake (can make one a bit windy mind:ohmy: ) and flap-jack. Full-fat coke at stops/pubs, cheeseburgers, more cake....

Nuun hydration tabs are really good in the water bottle too!

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

Fab Foodie said:
I tried SIS 'GO' gels for the first time at the weekend and found they were a revalation! OK, bit gloopy but not too unpleasant to chugg-down, but they worked really, really well, a good boost!

I bought some gels but I can't bring myself to try them ;)

Fab Foodie said:
Also like beef jerky too as well as jelly babies for constant nibbling, oh, and fruit-cake (can make one a bit windy mind:ohmy: ) and flap-jack. Full-fat coke at stops/pubs, cheeseburgers, more cake....

Nuun hydration tabs are really good in the water bottle too!

My husband makes bread pudding and we eat that - its lovely about half way round when you need something. I'm off flap jack after the last long ride I did where I ate so much it put me off.

I put hydration tabs in my water bottle and it seems to stop cravings after the finish. I used to crave peanuts and crisps but I wonder whether it was the salt my body was crying out for.
R x

Top Bottom