How far can I cycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Rabbitthekitten said:
Am I fast? I didn't think I was particularly.

15mph for a 'beginner'/'novice'/'intermediate' consistently on a commute is roastingly fast. If you don't believe me have a look on cyclogs/mycyclinglog.

A lot of the time on beginners people post about wanting to do 100km rides and say yeah but I haven't done one before and want to do one straight away i.e. within a few months - it always seems to be the speed demons that seem to be able to do it very rapidly.

battered

Guru
I bet you can do 50 miles. You're pretty young after all, no?

I'm no super fittie, in fact I'm recovering from an injury now, I'm over 40 and I'm far from peak fitness. My bike's nothing flash, just a commuter. That said, the other day I went out biking with a pal - cycled to his house, went out for a couple of hours, stopped at a supermarket for something to eat, did a bit more biking, got home. 54 miles.:tongue: I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm very sure that if you take your time and stop for food and drinks you'll do 40-50 miles without incident.

OP
OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

I'm 28, so I guess I'm still young. :-) I'm going to plan a 50 mile route that goes past my apartment about half way so I can stop if it's killing me. Thanks for your help everyone. :-)

jimboalee said:
and prey to high Heaven I have enough strength to cycle home.
Vicar found with half a leg missing. Police looking for cyclist in blood soaked jersey who preys on the weak. Church authorities pray for an early arrest :tongue:
I can manage 50 miles after 4 months on a road bike and I'm 47, cycling to lose weight and on blood pressure tablets (okay so I took a rest half way and stopped a mile from home for a rest half way up the hill in Swannington but didn't need burying)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Rabbitthekitten said:
I'm 28, so I guess I'm still young. :-) I'm going to plan a 50 mile route that goes past my apartment about half way so I can stop if it's killing me. Thanks for your help everyone. :-)

Hey, I'm that age! Old/young :tongue:.

A lot of it is convincing yourself you can do it and the boredom/monotony of riding on your own. Target destinations help - if you become convinced that that obscure village nobody has ever heard of is somewhere you must visit you will make it!

One thing I would say thought is that in the 25-35 mile range refuelling becomes important, you must eat and drink something.

Mycroft

is my math off?? 40 miles in 90 mins on the gym bike 26.6 average speed...? :tongue:

no hills indoors!!!

yesterday I came home from a camping trip, fully loaded with gear, 45 miles.

last year i did my first 50 miler (no gear) so decided after arriving home, to head off to the shop and back adding to a total a bit over the 50, very happy with that. then cooked dinner.

50 miles with gear - a different bucket of spuds!

I am not what fit used to be for me not by any stretch, am on Blood pressure meds, was starting out knackered from previous days runs. so it should be easy enough IMO.

learnt a good lesson, keep topped up with energy drinks after about 20 miles, and stop when you think you should, even if its going up a hill, its amazing what 10 yards pushing a bike will do for your legs in terms of a breather and nice rest.

honestly though, if you think you can't manage 50 (it is a mental block :biggrin: ) then try 40, try 30. just do what you can and then if need be increase it by 5 miles, till your there, don't get caught up on "can I? - But I might FAIL!!??"

first thing is to enjoy it!

PS. IMO this figure of eight thing might be a bit of a disincentive, I find HAVING to go all the way home spurs me on, there is no other option :tongue: YMMV

OP
OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Yeah, I did 40 miles in 90 minutes on a gym bike. Made me sweat I can tell you that. :tongue: But it was indoors with no hills or wind or anything. So it's not the same I guess. I buy the Lucozade Carb powers, you mix it with water and have an orange drink. It's surprisingly nice actually. So I can take a bit of that with me. I'll try 50 next weekend. Let you all know how I get on. :-D

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I'm a 6 mile commuter, averaging 15 on the tricky route (geese, bridges, dogs, children, gates), up to 19 mile/h with the wind behind me on the direct route (main road). So probably about the same fitness as me.

Just done a 30 mile route in 2 hours. Loved it. Did not eat anything, but drank quite a bit of water.

So, 30 miles is very do-able. 50 is a nice challenge, and you will need to take some food and water with you.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Just back from a 60 mile clubrun, anything but flat, with a cafe stop to refuel around halfway. I am 62. +33 miles yesterday. Just build up to it - it is very do-able. +1 food and water/energy drink. What's the old saying? - eat before you are hungry and drink before you are thirsty. Very good advice!

battered

Guru
"Let me eat when I'm hungry, give me whiskey when I'm dry, give me dollars when I'm hard up, and religion when I die..."

Actually, a pork pie and a milk drink will be enough for your 50 miler. Save the whisk(e)y for later.

OP
OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

battered said:
"Let me eat when I'm hungry, give me whiskey when I'm dry, give me dollars when I'm hard up, and religion when I die..."

Actually, a pork pie and a milk drink will be enough for your 50 miler. Save the whisk(e)y for later.

I'm more of a Jordans multigrain cereal bar and Lucozade Sport Bodyfuel kinda guy myself. :smile: An old boss of mine worked in a pork pie factory when he was young. I'm never eating a pork pie again after what he told me. :sad:

battered

Guru
I worked in a pork pie/meat pie/sausage factory in 2008. I've worked in food factories for years. There's nowt wrong with the pies, there's nothing toxic in there. Life in the offices is often a different matter.

Matthames

Über Member
marinyork said:
A lot of it is convincing yourself you can do it and the boredom/monotony of riding on your own. Target destinations help - if you become convinced that that obscure village nobody has ever heard of is somewhere you must visit you will make it!

I have plans to do a 50 mile route at some stage. I have a halfway point which is actually a quaint picture postcard village nestled in the Sussex downs, with plenty of scope for refreshments.

Top Bottom