Votes: 372 26.3%
  • 11-15 miles

Votes: 297 21.0%
  • 16-20 miles

Votes: 167 11.8%
  • >20 miles

Votes: 252 17.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
yeah I have fond memories of a cpl diff. rides & even my current one. there are landmarks & diff. sections. one can mentally absorb or prepare for

I think it makes a difference now it's broken up a bit. I started by feeling like it was some kind of mammoth chore, but now I've timed it a few times, and when I leave work I know it's only 12 minutes to a bridge in the next town that I thought was far, far away, so it feels more doable. When I cross that Bridge I know it's only 12 more minutes to an bridge carrying a major road over me, and then it's ten minutes back to my apartment. Breaking the journey up mentally makes a big difference.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I am looking for another job. Stuff the salary as a 45 mile, each way, commute is totally ridiculous. It ‘costs’ me 600 hours annually.
Time is finite, I can always earn money.

I think it makes a difference now it's broken up a bit. I started by feeling like it was some kind of mammoth chore, but now I've timed it a few times, and when I leave work I know it's only 12 minutes to a bridge in the next town that I thought was far, far away, so it feels more doable. When I cross that Bridge I know it's only 12 more minutes to an bridge carrying a major road over me, and then it's ten minutes back to my apartment. Breaking the journey up mentally makes a big difference.
exactly. another reason I like having a cheap computer I can look at it & knowing how much further I have, I can adjust my mental attitude & pace myself

dimrub

Mine is about 30 km, North to South into the center of Tel-Aviv (Israel). I used to do it once a week before COVID, nowadays I'm mostly working from home. It's 2/3 asphalt and 1/3 gravel, so I use either an MTB or a gravel bike, according to the mood and the weather (it gets really muddy in the winter).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I can join back in now. Where possible I'll be doing a 25 mile round commute, off road down the canal into Manchester. Just completed commute number 3 since last week. I'll ride as much as I can, but if the weather is poop, I may decide to take the car. I've had nearly 6 years off due to a rather bad accident on a particular commute. Bloody drivers.

BrodieCull

Regular
Lucky enough to have a half a mile commute

Alex321

Veteran
Now that I have been doing it 2 days a week for a few weeks, I think I have worked out the best route.

15.6 miles on the way in, 15.1 on the way home. Half a mile further on the way in as I take the longer but easier hill up to Welsh St Donats. On the way home, I'm happy to go down the steep hill, even in the dark, as it is now when I get home.

My current commute is 11.5 miles out and 12.3 miles back when you miss the turn on a dark narrow lane :laugh: I am mainly WfH but I have invested in a helmet strap for my Volt 400. With that and the two Niterider Swifts I have (a 400 and a 500) I should be fine. The 400 and 500 were great but didn't give long enough a beam. I don't really want an overpowering light but if the helmet strap for the Volt doesn't cut the mustard I may have to invest in the Volt 800.

Last edited:

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
From May 99 to November 13 it was Euston to an office in either 'Legal London' or , later, Victoria. Ended when I was made redundant.

Now work locally (part time). The whole commute is an approx 12miles round trip but given the roads etc it's not viable daily or year round though it's doable say once a week in summer.

Compromise is to do the last mile and a half from the park/ride on the edge of town to the office. Brompton goes in the boot for the remainder.

It's actually quicker that way than parking at the in town multi storey after navigating the one way system plus the last quarter mile on foot.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not updated this for a long time. Prior to getting run over whilst on the way to work it was 13-20 miles each way, 5 days a week on the road by a fixed gear.

WFH now 3 days a week, but the other two are 13 miles each way by canal. Takes just as long to cycle in mud for 13 miles than to drive 9 miles.

I'll only bail if its lashing it down or injured.

Slick

Guru
My commute has changed a bit at 16 miles each way but for whatever reason the notion has worn off me a bit.

There is a ghost bike about 300 yards away from my house and I can't decide if my lethargy is real concern over the first few miles or just the excuse I was looking for to give it a miss for a while.

Top Bottom