How far to travel to get the vaccine?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gom

Über Member
Just got my invite letter. Although I live 15 mins walk from a centre, the nearest I could book was 15+ miles away. Is this common?
Now, I have no idea how loaded the local centre is, nor how many vulnerable, infirm, etc. there are who have a better claim to go there first, so it could easily make perfect sense.
Anyway a nice drive to Malvern is not a problem, so booked in for tomorrow and end of May.
Cheers!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I can only go by my experience, and I had lots of time slots available over several days. My nearest centre is only a couple of miles away so I didn't need to search any further away for an alternative appointment.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some folk are getting a few miles away - 15 isn't too bad. My wife was able to get in the local practice, 1/2 mile away.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I had to go to Newtown for my jab which is over 20 miles away although the Drs surgery is less than 10 miles away. Both Mr WD and I had to go to Newtown for 2 separate appointments so by the time we have our 2nd jab I will have had to drive over 160 miles.

PK99

Legendary Member
Just got my invite letter. Although I live 15 mins walk from a centre, the nearest I could book was 15+ miles away. Is this common?
Now, I have no idea how loaded the local centre is, nor how many vulnerable, infirm, etc. there are who have a better claim to go there first, so it could easily make perfect sense.
Anyway a nice drive to Malvern is not a problem, so booked in for tomorrow and end of May.
Cheers!

Local experience seems to show that there are two invitation/booking routes.

NHS Central which uses larger sites that may be some way away with both jabs booked at the same time
and
GP driven which uses local site (s) with call back when jab 2 is due

Paulus

Started young, and still going.

NHS Central which uses larger sites that may be some way away with both jabs booked at the same time
and
We got the letters on Monday from NHS and as above was the local place to us. Second jabs booked for May.
On Tuesday we got the text from our GP, the distance was about the same, but in a different direction, but the main location for Doctors in this area.

OP
OP
gom

gom

Über Member

and
That makes a lotta sense. Local centre is being uses by GPs, invitees getting texted. I got an NHS letter.
Ta

byegad

Legendary Member
We got a call from our GP and went to a neighbouring Practice, 5 miles away, to get our jabs, 5 days apart. Each of us also got an NHS letter a couple of days after the call from the GP. As we were already sorted we ignored them.
My mate, a none driver, got his NHS letter yesterday and was offered a jab 30 miles away, I advised him to give the GP a couple of days to call, and go to the practice we went to, which is a 5 minute walk from him.

pawl

Legendary Member
Our village GP practice is small They contacted me to say I could book my jab at Earl Shilton which is five miles away and would that be a problem if so it could be done at the surgery if ther was a problem getting to Earl Shilton Not a problem for me

Dave7

Legendary Member
I know of 2 people with similar offers. Both phoned up to say......not prepared to travel that far.....and were immediately given alternatives close by.
Ours were within 2 miles.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Local GP is a short walk, but I'm driving to Washington 25 miles away... happy to be getting the jab though, and the car has hardly moved for months. 2nd will be in Newcastle at the Centre for Life in May.

Top Bottom