How fast am I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I remember riding over the Campsies when i was a lad and thoroughly enjoying it. There was also the stop off for a swim in the "coffin" if we didn't feel like going further. I now consider riding from Kirky to the Briggs on my commute as a long uphill climb lol.

15.5mph av sounds decent to me given the terrain, and you're getting on a bit like me! :tongue:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
A 22 year old will always ride faster for longer than a 50 year old. although in the case of Jenny Longo, she can beat 22 years old mainly all of the time, but then, she is the exception to the rule!
Not necessarily. I suspect that there are MANY experienced 50-year-old cyclists out there who would give 22-year-olds a good run for their money: experience and years spent on the bike give them a significant advantage, obviously off-set by the inevitable effects of advancing years. But staying on the bike will dramatically slow down the rate of decline!

Of course, on average, an experienced 22 y.o. is going to have more oomph than an experienced 50 y.o., but don't let advancing years temper your desire to attain ambitious targets! I've set myself one in particular, and though I suspect it might be a small step too far, it's not going to stop me trying!

OP
OP
007fair

007fair

I remember riding over the Campsies when i was a lad and thoroughly enjoying it. There was also the stop off for a swim in the "coffin" if we didn't feel like going further. I now consider riding from Kirky to the Briggs on my commute as a long uphill climb lol.

15.5mph av sounds decent to me given the terrain, and you're getting on a bit like me! :tongue:

Its a superb road Long climb but once up there you the road is wonderful - smooth quiet undulating
Never come across the coffin though !
I cycle top bishopbriggs to get a train to Linlithgow Then cycle home back via the forth and clyde and Kirky

Only once a week and in the summer!

BrianTrumpet - With age comes the ability to learn stamina Not all young people have the dedication or mental focus for longer rides (Possibly just get bored too quick!). This is the one advantage of age Still wish I was 22 again though

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Still wish I was 22 again though
I know what you mean - given what I've found out about my ability on a bike now (have always ridden bikes, but only started riding seriously a year ago at age 46), I know I've missed the boat for what 'could have been' if I'd got serious in my twenties. All the same, I'm doing my best to make up for lost time now - I suspect I'll need to get to my ambitious target by the time I'm 50, or it won't happen. Whatever, I'm going to have fun trying.

Top Bottom