How fast do you go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
At the risk of finding out that I am even slower than I think I would like to know what most of us foldistas average on our Bromptons or other folders on level ground without much wind to deter or aid us. I am also stipulating the level ground is paved reasonably well and is fairly straight. I use the " Map My Fitness" tracker and stop the clock for times when I am stopped for more than a few minutes. Around 10 mph is a good average over 20 miles for me on the up and down routes I take and 12 is good for the flat parts. What do your speeds come to?

I averaged about 22 mph for the Brompton Worlds and hit 36 mph on the flat - but I'm loads slower pootling around.

I'd not worry about speed at all. Just enjoy it.

Kell

Veteran
It massively depends.

I have two possible commutes to work - one is about 8 miles and one is nearer 9.

The first one is two and a half laps around Regent's Park - where I will average about 15mph. But there are only four sets of traffic lights on a three mile lap and very few pedestrians.

The other is from Wembley to Camden - this is always a good couple of mph slower. Because I'm filtering through traffic, there are tonnes of traffic lights and there are loads of idiot pedestrians. It's a little bit more hilly, but not much.

On the Brompton Worlds @cougie uk mentions (we did it the same year) I averaged around 18 or so (I can't now find the Strava log). SO it's a bit of a guess. I know I did the first lap at 22.5, then got progressively slower.

But all of those routes are fairly flat. I did the virtual BWC during lockdown which is a 19 mile route of your choosing. I live in the Chilterns so 19 miles anywhere around here take a fair amount of climbing. So that ride was about 13.9 mph.

I tend to find that hills slow me right down as I'm simply too heavy. I'll normally be in the top third of all riders (even on my Brompton) on the flats, but in the bottom 10% on hills.

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
Tell a lie - it was a bit faster than that. 19.3 mph over 9.5 miles. But as you can see from my heart rate, I couldn't have given it much more.

I was also about 2 stone lighter then and I'd love to be able to hit those power outputs consistently now.

Here's the link if you have Strava and wanted a nose... https://www.strava.com/activities/1734040670

(PS - this will be shorter than Cougie's ride as I only got to do 7 of 8 laps.)

1657207278603.png

Last edited:

mitchibob

Über Member
Here's the link if you have Strava and wanted a nose... https://www.strava.com/activities/1734040670

(PS - this will be shorter than Cougie's ride as I only got to do 7 of 8 laps.)

Same with me... plus, I was trying not to go all out, as I had to ride the 100 next morning, and never really found a wheel to follow after the first lap without going severely into the red.

1657210198733.png

Following year, I was only a spectator at the BWC, plus met up with fellow Brommie rider who was starting 4 minutes ahead of me next day, and very kindly waited for me at first corner so that we could work together for at least the first half in the 100, and did probably my best 100 mile time on any bike...
1657210549697.png

Kell

Veteran
Same with me... plus, I was trying not to go all out, as I had to ride the 100 next morning, and never really found a wheel to follow after the first lap without going severely into the red.

View attachment 651850
Following year, I was only a spectator at the BWC, plus met up with fellow Brommie rider who was starting 4 minutes ahead of me next day, and very kindly waited for me at first corner so that we could work together for at least the first half in the 100, and did probably my best 100 mile time on any bike...
View attachment 651852

I can see an obvious difference.

I’m 30kg heavier.

mitchibob

Über Member
I can see an obvious difference.

I’m 30kg heavier.

Not sure it's showing my weight on the day... think I was a bit lighter then... definitely was at the end of the day

tinywheels

Über Member
if you're into speed, buy a bigger bike.
A brompton is never going to break any records.
Hills kill them.
Even with my hope crankset at 44 teeth it's not much of an improvement.
Buy a tweed jacket, tie, plus fours and join the fold.

OP
OP
12boy

12boy

Guru
Had a nice ride before the temps got up to 37C. Ave speed 10.6 but there was no wind, hills were not bad although I cllimbed a little over 1000 ft.

mitchibob

Über Member
if you're into speed, buy a bigger bike.
A brompton is never going to break any records.
Hills kill them.
Even with my hope crankset at 44 teeth it's not much of an improvement.
Buy a tweed jacket, tie, plus fours and join the fold.

I slightly disagree for climbing. I still haven't beaten times I set on either side of the Rhigos on Brompton in 2019 with my bigger wheeled bike, even though it's now my local climb, and I normally have a crack at it once a week. Descending different matter, especially now I know the descent on the Treherbert side particularly well. I should have another crack on same Brommie, although, I had 44T that day, although, from Treherbert side, not sure used lowest gear, but didn't do the very bottom part, as Komoot sent on ill-advised cycle path which ended in some walking bringing near the cattle grid. Basically, if you're doing Rhigos from Treherbert, ignore any variation on the main road from komoot. But other side, just the standard Top100 climb way, and still never beaten that time on a road bike on larger wheels.

Another thing, if you have to stop on a particularly steep climb, it's easier to get a Brommie going again than bigger wheels.

Last edited:
Top Bottom