How fit are cycling coppers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Dayvo said:
I played rugby with a few coppers (and firemen). They were fit, and hard, but fair and were good blokes.

Oooooh ! Matron !

The cycling coppers in City of London always look pretty fit, in all that tight lycra and their uniforms and big truncheons.

Oooh, I think I'm having a crisis of sexuality. Must be the weather.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I believe one of York's cycle paramedics once proved his fitness by jogging up the steps (275 of them) of the Minster Tower, where some guy had had a heart attack...

He'd have been carrying panniers as well...

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Arch said:
I believe one of York's cycle paramedics once proved his fitness by jogging up the steps (275 of them) of the Minster Tower, where some guy had had a heart attack...

He'd have been carrying panniers as well...

Arch !! I've told you before to stop doing THAT in confined spaces:eek:

As a 'cycling copper' I'd say the majority of us are reasonably fit....

We've got Smith & Wesson MTBs which are jacks of all trades if not a little over specced for getting from A to B. They are excellent for the sneaky patrols where the cars can't get and do break the ice when speaking to 'yoof'. We would like some decent kit to wear but aren't holding our breath!

stevenb

lol....if I were still in the job I could answer this myself...judging by the takeaways that most eat ....not that fit....although I know plenty of ex colleagues who are very fit.

papercorn2000

stevenb said:
lol....if I were still in the job I could answer this myself...judging by the takeaways that most eat ....not that fit....although I know plenty of ex colleagues who are very fit.

There's a few I know (knew) who were reasonable cyclists - there's one in the East End of Glasgow who was a neo-pro in France for a few years!

Back to bonj's bit about foot chases being over in a few seconds...

I once had cause to chase a guy. He jumped a fence. When I had got over, I couldn't see him - then I caught a glimpse of him going round the corner, so after him I goes... Lost him again and then see him halfway up the next street, so off I go. I must have lost him half a dozen times (not helped by the local populace "did you see a guy run this way?", "No mate, huvnae seen naebody!") as I chased him for about 10 minutes and about a mile and a half. The worst thing was; I had called for backup and was trying to continually shout in where I was; some other bugger caught him!

When you start these foot chases, you usually start from cold, no warm up and you are wearing body armour and several kilos worth of kit - I was a good distance runner in my time and the perp was usually 10 years younger than me and in a track suit and trainers. It's no wonder that you rarely caught them.

Top Bottom