How fit do you need to be to do LeJog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
25 miles a day commuting is a fantastic amount and will set you up magnificently. It helps harden up the arse and contact points. You will be fine.

http://peter.chesspod.com/blog/ shows our ride report from April 2007. 20 days for two unfit 50+ tandemists, 1051 miles. We had four fairly light days in the middle (if the Cross of Greet can be called a light day) of 40, 21, 15 and 40 miles, but otherwise we were doing mostly between 55 and 60 miles per day.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
In a nutshell, you'll quite quickly ride yourself into fitness!
Spot on, in my experience.

When I did mine (a civilised average of 52 miles a day over 18 days, including one rest day), I typically did one 40-50 mile ride a week, plus a few short local shopping trips. I did a lap of the Isle of Wight by way of hill training (I don't see many serious hills in London and Essex!), and then felt confident I could cope with Cornwall. And although I was a bit worried about Scotland, what everyone says is absolutely true: by the time you get there, you'll be fit!

Route and blog here:
http://www.benlovejoy.com/cycle/tripreports/lejog/

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Oh, one tip: whatever daily mileage you feel comfortable with, knock it down a bit to allow for things like getting lost and having to ride a bit further to find a B&B or campsite. Then if you do end up needing a bit of a detour, or going on past your planned stop, you'll still be within your comfortable range.

e-rider

crappy member
I did it last year with two guys who weren't very fit.

I'm not so sure that you'll 'ride yourself fit'. These two guys got progressively worse as the ride went on because there was no opportunity to recover (no rest days), and by the end they were in a right state.

I however, having a better base level of fitness did 'ride myself fit' and got stronger everyday.

So I'd say that depending on your fitness at the start you can go one of two ways. Fit people get fitter; unfit people get into serious trouble!

(we did between 80-110 miles per day with panniers)

snorri

Legendary Member
when did you do it ?
April '97

robbiep

Über Member
That's great advice from both of you. Would love to know your routes, the B&Bs used or any that you can recommend and what bikes you rode on.

Thanks for your time in posting all that and well done to both of you.

You may have stumbled across it but I've put all the B & B's etc on another thread in the LEJOG section - let me know if you cant find it or need anymore info!

Cheers, Rob

jarushby

I did it last year with two guys who weren't very fit.

I'm not so sure that you'll 'ride yourself fit'. These two guys got progressively worse as the ride went on because there was no opportunity to recover (no rest days), and by the end they were in a right state.

I however, having a better base level of fitness did 'ride myself fit' and got stronger everyday.

So I'd say that depending on your fitness at the start you can go one of two ways. Fit people get fitter; unfit people get into serious trouble!

(we did between 80-110 miles per day with panniers)

I agree. I think at the end your legs do feel "stronger" but only if your base fitness was there at the beginning. Also, I think it is important to not just get the training miles in but make sure that you incorporate some hill training also.

I think Robbie has made the point that there are no significant hills once you get out of Devon. He is right , but only if you have built the strength and endurance in your legs before you start out.

jarushby

Go to '9 day LEJOG completed' thread in LEJOG section - all B & B's there fella. Most really nice and the punters were top draw, happy with choices overall.

If you book in advance you can get really cheap travelodges.(and the bike can go in the room with you).

Top Bottom