How has your high street changed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
They all do this. Tesco are playing dirty to stop Lidl store in my town....

My take on it was that the main big supermarkets are aware of doing damage to smaller businesses but not specifically targeting them.
Yours sound like intersupermarket fights.
I have been out of retail for some years now but we had a successful business model which was flexible enough to fend off predators.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My take on it was that the main big supermarkets are aware of doing damage to smaller businesses but not specifically targeting them.
Yours sound like intersupermarket fights.
I have been out of retail for some years now but we had a successful business model which was flexible enough to fend off predators.

I think they'll pretty much fight tooth and nail to reduce/remove any competition....

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The Co-Op try to make out they're some kind of ethical supermarket. They got planning permission in Brodick after promising not to do newspapers, books, electrical items etc. Within 6 months they were selling all of these and drove the independents out of business.

Had 8 years of nothing but Co-Op groceries because we had no choice. Haven't set foot in one since 2003.

Jameshow

Veteran
The Co-Op try to make out they're some kind of ethical supermarket. They got planning permission in Brodick after promising not to do newspapers, books, electrical items etc. Within 6 months they were selling all of these and drove the independents out of business.

Had 8 years of nothing but Co-Op groceries because we had no choice. Haven't set foot in one since 2003.

Just wait till Lidl / Aldi come to town!!🤣🤣🤣

oldwheels

Legendary Member

They did exactly the same in Tobermory. I noticed on my travels that they seem to favour out of the way places and quality of goods deteriorates the further away you get from the mainland and not due to deterioration due to longer travel time either.

Joey Shabadoo

They did exactly the same in Tobermory. I noticed on my travels that they seem to favour out of the way places and quality of goods deteriorates the further away you get from the mainland and not due to deterioration due to longer travel time either.

Used to be a grand wee shop in Tobermory- sold everything from pipes to paint. Near the museum - still there?

Edit - I met the famous Tobermory cat there, sleeping in a box through the back.

D

Deleted member 26715

Our local council is currently trying to court the Government to get handouts to redevelop out town centre, complete & utter waste of money if they succeed, it's a dump, it's always been a dump & will always be a dump, they allowed all the supermarkets to build just on the edge of town & now nobody other than drug dealers go in the centre.

I upset several councillors at a meeting the other week, when I suggested instead of building 1600 new houses on a greenfield site, they flattened the centre of town & put them there, it was initially said in jest but it would make more sense.

roley poley

Über Member
yup. .even Leeds market when you could walk in at one end and out the other with everything a household could possibly need is a shell of its former self :headshake::sad: (edit) the stalls rents are too high

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
yup. .even Leeds market when you could walk in at one end and out the other with everything a household could possibly need is a shell of its former self :headshake::sad: (edit) the stalls rents are too high

That sounds like Accrington's Victorian built indoor market, albeit it much smaller than the Leeds one I presume.

Last edited:
Our local council is currently trying to court the Government to get handouts to redevelop out town centre, complete & utter waste of money if they succeed, it's a dump, it's always been a dump & will always be a dump, they allowed all the supermarkets to build just on the edge of town & now nobody other than drug dealers go in the centre.

I upset several councillors at a meeting the other week, when I suggested instead of building 1600 new houses on a greenfield site, they flattened the centre of town & put them there, it was initially said in jest but it would make more sense.

A shopping centre in Edinburgh has lost a few big stores in recent years, the biggest being Debenhams, and the most recent being the M&S Foodhall.

As a result the centre is planning a partial demolition and redevelopment of the site to bring in new hospitality units and residential areas.

Joey Shabadoo

There's a project in Scotland to put "pods" into empty retail spaces and turn them into offices, study areas etc. The aim is for "20 minute" communities where no-one has to commute more than 20 minutes. The pods are like very fancy portacabins, equipped with electrics, broadband etc.

Top Bottom