How hilly is your ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Most of my cycling is around the Vale of Glamorgan. It is quite hilly, but the hills are generally pretty short.

So far this year, I have done 1,113 miles, with 79,314 feet of elevation (9 weeks off the bike after breaking my wrist in March, or both of those would have been a fair bit more), which works out at 71 feet/mile.

united4ever

Über Member
Also don't use Strava etc so cannot measure it. Am in South Manchester so tend to head out to the south and west for the Cheshire plains. The East of Cheshire is like Mordor for me with its peaks looming on the horizon leading to other worlds of pain in Derbyshire and the pennines. Got to Alderley Edge once and had to get off and walk up Artists Lane. So I tend to stick to west Cheshire and the area around Knutsford, Dunham Massey etc. It is very pleasant to be fair.

presta

Guru
I don't generally keep climb stats, so the only one I've measured is my last tour.
Ft/mile varies from 19.6 in the fens, to 97.2 over the tops from Elterwater to Wasdale Hall.
(I underestimated that day from Ingleton to Elterwater, I'd never have guessed it would prove to be the most climbing of the whole trip.)

1656106625288.png

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Just had a deep dive into my elevation data and was surprised to see I've been avoiding hills as the years have passed.

Annual totals for feet/mile used to average between 55 and 70 feet/mile.
Then flat commutes started to dominate, and those totals tell to between 40 and 50.
This year has been below 40.

Went this morning for a 2 hour ride averaging 96 feet/mile, which was more than enough. OMG I've out of practice at climbing. Talk about use it or lose it.

Top Bottom