how important is the disc brake pad retainer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Running BB7's. put my bike in for a service at a shop near my workplace and when getting it back i have noticed the pad retainer clip is missing on both the front and rear.

Now when I got the bike the brakes were rubbing, so much so that when turning the wheels whilst in the air the wheel would not rotate even 1 revolution under freewheel. Trying to sort that out and I just can't seem to get it right, wondering if this is causing an issue.

lpretro1

It holds the pads in place and is required - if it wasn't needed they wouldn't put it there.The little tabs at the top of the pad 'click' into this retainer spring. It is best to insert the spring by separating the two caliper halves, putting it in place then torquing the two halves up again.

Reactions: gaz
OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It holds the pads in place and is required - if it wasn't needed they wouldn't put it there.The little tabs at the top of the pad 'click' into this retainer spring. It is best to insert the spring by separating the two caliper halves, putting it in place then torquing the two halves up again.
As I thought then. I presume they forgot to replace them when they put new pads in.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Which is pretty dumb as you need to put the spring in with the pads not after.
Indeed, I question the level of competency that the mechanic showed, the bike was given to me with a loose headset, brake pads rubbing the rotors, saddle clearly not straight and mudguard bolts loose.
Not impressed to say the least.

Edit: It's not the spring, it's the retainer clip
$_35.JPG

lpretro1

Does same job but ideally should be put in place before putting two caliper halves together or it can get damaged trying to press it in

Top Bottom