How is best seat postion determined please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Falco Frank

Veteran
I remember reading a tech book in stunning detail at the start of my MTB riding about how to exactly position and adjust a seat using definite rider measurements...

Sadly, Ive found nothing like that for a recumbent only rough guides.

Early days for me in HPV world and I know I'm still getting used to the vastly different riding style but any pointers to 'best practise' would be appreciated.

Grazie :scratch:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I seem to have strayed from the Road section into the Recumbent and HPV section. I have to say what a polite and lovely bunch you are. The Road section is full of hostile, opinionated individuals that I can barely tolerate. :giggle:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
'Bents are quite different to DFs, in particular that the only real distance of concern is that from seat to pedals. Much like a DF, your knee should still be partially bent when at the furthest point on the pedal stroke (this would be the 'bottom' of the stroke); this is usually done by adjusting the boom length.

Handlebar reach and position is usually far more variable and comfortable on a 2-wheel bent - just put it where it is most comfy and allows good control.

I have no experience of trikes, though I can see more issues with 'bars positioning' than on 2 wheels.

When I first started riding a 'bent (bicycle) (last November - so I'm a novice at this) I had to make a couple of brackets to tilt the seat more upright than the stock brackets would permit - I just could not get on with the reclined position.

After a good few miles I was able to begin to recline the seat more and more, such that I'm now back using the original brackets and am in the middle of their range of adjustment.

I'm now happy with the reclined position. I also had to play about with the fore and aft position of the seat by about 15mm either way from stock because my boom is stuck in the frame (will get that cured later this summer) so I cannot not move the position of the BB to get my knees slightly bent at full extension of the pedals.

Bar position: as per what Scoosh said - wherever they are the most comfortable - I'm still tweaking mine.

But (there's always a but..) I wear varifocals. The reclined position means that I'd be looking forward up the road but through the reading bit - so I have to wear my distance (driving) glasses, and then I can't see my computer and GPS.

Recumbents hey? They always need some form of compromise to getaway from the neck, shoulder and backside pains that I get from riding a DF bike. ^_^

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Veteran
Thanks Guys.

The Toxy is quite a clever seat design. It has two sets of slotted plates, forward and aft with three slots that allow movement vertically and horizontally.

I think its time to pull some shorts on (sorry to give you that mind image) so that I can see exactly what knees / legs are doing when cycling.

My gut feeling is the same as Andy, that the rear needs lifting.

Suck it and see I guess.

Top Bottom