1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long do cleats last

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by HLaB, 23 Apr 2008.

1. On my 6th lap of Arthur's seat last night I got to thinking (which is always dangerous for me B)). How long do the plastic cleats for SPD-SL pedals last?

2. It depends on how much you walk on them. I've got spare pairs lying around as I've went through more pedals than I have cleats.

3. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

6th lap of Arthur's Seat!! Ok I'm impressed...

4. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

plastic?

5. goo_mason

goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

Weren't you getting dizzy ? :biggrin:

6. Wasn't going fast enough.

7. walker

walker New Member

You know when they need replacing, you find it harder to get your feet in and out of the pedals, simple as

8. Will1962

Will1962 Well-Known Member

I use Looks myself. The cleats have small wear indicator holes, one at the front, and one either side at the rear. When they disappear, the cleat should be replaced.

Do SPD-SL cleats have the same?

Will

9. mondobongo

mondobongo Über Member

My Spd SL are some sort of composite unlike my old MTB cleats which were metal.

Will SPD SL have coloured wear indicators time to change them when the yellow bits have worn off.

10. Joe

Joe Über Member

I wore my first set out today. They've been feeling less secure for a while now but today, mid ride, they suddenly decided to give up on holding the peddle. It's the walk from the bike rack to work that's really killed them, wear from putting a foot down at the lights is minimal.

11. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

I'm surprised they can make them from anything other than proper metal

Indeed the walk from the bike shed, but for heaven's sake metal isn't expensive and a cleat isn't big enough to be heavy surely?

12. mondobongo

mondobongo Über Member

Tynan road cleats are considerably larger than off road cleats I would not fancy clumping round with these on if they were made of metal.