How long do freehubs last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
I think that, as a general rule, if the freehub goes then you chuck the wheel away. The rim and spokes are likely to be getting on a bit, and the cost of the hub plus rebuilding is probably as great as a new wheel

I have sympathy with that. In my case it's usually the rim goes first. Front wheel dynamo hubs get reused though.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
How big a job is it to replace the freehub (and not the entire wheel)? Does the new freehub just screw on to the wheel?

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Yes.
Freehub is removed and replaced with a 10mm allen key - not a major job at all.
I remember now, trying to do this last time and the allen key needed was definitely bigger than 10mm, which annoyed me because 10mm was the biggest I have.

PpPete

Legendary Member
10mm is the standard on Shimano hubs (IIRC) but I think there are other brands which take a 12mm

I've got an entry-level freehub that's now coming up to 10,000 miles - it's been both service-free and problem-free. In fact I'm a little annoyed that the rims are starting to wear and it appears easier to just buy new wheels than build new rims onto the existing hubs.
TBH I don't see the big problem with rebuilding a wheel round an existing hub. Personally I go from scratch and it takes me around two hours to get a really good result, but I know others are quicker, and the "rim-transplant" method should save a bit of time too. Get this, and go for it.

HovR

Über Member
To be honest I don't expect freehubs to go, ever.

Not having a lot of freehub experience, I was suprised to hear that Maz's wore out after 4000 miles - I'd expect it to last far longer. I've had cheap freewheels last longer than 4000 miles!

Top Bottom