How long do Look Keo Grip cleats last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I have the grey cleats and they are my first "proper" cleated shoes. I have managed for many years with SPDs.

Total mileage so far is 2100km on those cleats. The grippy rubber bits have mostly fallen off.

How can I tell when they need replacing? I am doing a big race in July (Ironman) so do not want to take risks

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I will burn through my keo cleats in about 2 months (about the same mileage), and thats when the front lip is worn down and I can pull the cleat out when accerating, unless am using the cleat covers, which, is why I brought the keos for in the first place, then I will get about 4-5 months out of them.

Most wear is on my detachment foot, for am sure you know obvious reasons.

I would look at Planet X, as they have their cleat covers at a good price and look at have a fresh set a few week before your Ironman, personally.

good luck

adscrim

Veteran
How thin in the front section of the cleat? This, in my experience is the first place to go - and that's when I replace them. Thankfully, this has always happened when commuting and not 50 miles from home!

I'm a big fan of cleat covers now. I used to go through a pair of cleats in about 6 month but my current cleats are over a year old and still have all the rubber intact and virtually no wear on the front section of the cleat. Get some covers, it's not actually as much a hassle as you might think.

e-rider

crappy member
if it's a big important race just change them - £10 on ebay

compared to the amount of money spent on bike, clothes and entry fee it's nothing!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
if it's a big important race just change them - £10 on ebay

compared to the amount of money spent on bike, clothes and entry fee it's nothing!

^The OP was asking about Keo GRIP cleats. Can you give a link to "£10 on ebay" please? I find they will last quite well if you are careful (try not to walk in them AT ALL!). If the cleat covers are so durable, why not make the cleats out of the same material???? (personally find them a PITA). As noted above, one cleat always wears down first, so I just replace that one, never both at the same time. When the cleat begins to look badly worn I start carrying a spare in the saddlepack, just in case (make sure your bolts are undoable).

e-rider

crappy member
£9.50 and free P&P

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item43a605ff05

These are not the GRIP version BUT they are better for 2 reasons:

1. The rubber bit falls off after a few rides anyway so it's just marketing nonsense really.
2. The plastic on the non-GRIP cleats is much thicker and they therefore last much longer!!! Basically, so that the GRIP cleats fit into the pedals, plastic is removed and replaced by the rubber grip. Once the grip has fallen off, the plastic bit underneath is much thiner and wears out quickly.

I would agree though that Look cleats are a nightmare to walk on - very slippery!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
£9.50 and free P&P

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item43a605ff05

These are not the GRIP version BUT they are better for 2 reasons:

1. The rubber bit falls off after a few rides anyway so it's just marketing nonsense really.
2. The plastic on the non-GRIP cleats is much thicker and they therefore last much longer!!! Basically, so that the GRIP cleats fit into the pedals, plastic is removed and replaced by the rubber grip. Once the grip has fallen off, the plastic bit underneath is much thiner and wears out quickly.

I would agree though that Look cleats are a nightmare to walk on - very slippery!

Exactly! that is why I use the GRIP ones. You can get Keo compatible (non-Look) for even less, but the cheapest Grip I have found are around 14.95 (inc).

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Thanks for the comments. Have bought a new pair and will stick these on a week or two beforehand. The new ones were from Highonbikes on Ebay. I must stay the cleat covers don't appeal as I never plan to walk more than a couple of feet in the shoes. The current rubber bits lasted surprisingly long compared with other reports.

For the IM I do not need to walk much in them. Only from unracking the bike to the mounting point, and that is nearly all carpeted. When finishing the bike I remove my feet from the shoes 800m before the end and cycle in with feet on top of the shoes, then leave the shoes on the pedals in transition.

Thanks for all the help!

Top Bottom