How long do you keep your shoes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've been using the same two pairs of shoes for work for 22 years, I just keep getting them re-soled. Mrs Gti says I should go and buy something fashionable but I like them, they fit like gloves and owe me nothing and still polish up well. There's something nice about well-used possessions that bear the scars and scuffs of life.

I've been looking for some casual slip-ons for 6 months now and still haven't found any I like. It's driving her mad.

Where's The Chap? I bet he says the same.

fido

Veteran
Until they fall apart or until their stench enters a room before I do.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Ooops, meant to post this in the café. Apologies to all the intelligentsia who frequent P&L.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'd like to be the first to say that I'm offended by the presence of this thread in P+L. Where's the reference to Harriet Harman? What opportunity does it afford Our German Correspondent to call for the suspension of democracy and Strong Leadership? Are you suggesting that Catrike string 'em up with laces?

The answer is, as long as they last, and, if they're comfortable, longer still. My long-suffering better half finds my shoes a complete embarrasment.

Work shoes about two years as the NHS don't buy to last. My cycling shoes are about two years old and showing no signs of wearing anywhere and my ordinary casual shoes are about four years old and still going strong. Oh and my dress black shoes are probably about twenty years old or more.

ASC1951

Guru
Globalti said:
I've been using the same two pairs of shoes for work for 22 years, I just keep getting them re-soled.... There's something nice about well-used possessions that bear the scars and scuffs of life.
A classic pair of men's shoes are never out of fashion and it's actually cheaper to get good quality. I generally got Loakes, which might have been £130 a pop in 1990 but have lasted ever since with a couple of re-soles.

I hated having to wear a suit to work, but never the shoes. It was like stepping into my favourite Brooks saddle.

Greedo

Till they look shoot.

It's the same thing I've always said. You buy the best you can afford and they'll last you for ages. There is no was you could buy a pair from Next, Primark etc... wear them most days and expect them to last more than a year!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
You buy the best you can afford and they'll last you for ages

My philosophy too. But, to the fashionistas this is no good. Primark/Next serve them well as they can afford to keep up with latest trend.

I always buy Clarks shoes.

Top Bottom