How long is this going to last

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Emanresu

Touring with a hire bike and got an eye opener when I checked the rear tyre today. There’s a bulge and the outer skin is peeling away from the rim.

LBS is closed and the next one is 6 miles away tomorrow. Could walk it but what the failure mode?

Don’t know when this appeared but I have done 40 miles today half of which was fast downhill!!

Attachments

• IMG_4191.jpeg
    IMG_4191.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4190.jpeg
    IMG_4190.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4195.jpeg
    IMG_4195.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 83

All uphill

Still rolling along
Who knows?

I'd probably try to bodge repair it with zip ties to contain the bulge for the 6 miles, and take it slowly and gently.

If it does fail it shouldn't cause you too many problems as there appear to be no mudguards to get tangled with.

Good luck!

The other option is to try to give the problem back to the hire shop. Did you sign accepting the bike as being in good condition?

Ajax Bay

Guru
I would insert a nice long boot reaching underneath the tube to the other rim and ride slowly to the LBS in the morning. Or seek a local (if a 26" wheel) and see if they'd be charitable/good samaritan.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I would insert a nice long boot reaching underneath the tube to the other rim and ride slowly to the LBS in the morning. Or seek a local (if a 26" wheel) and see if they'd be charitable/good samaritan.
Where's he going to get a boot from? Unless of course you're suggesting he uses one of his shoes.

OP
OP
E

Emanresu

I’ve got a few zip ties so will have a try of that tomorrow.

As regards the hire, I’ve done over 400 on it so far so can’t complain. Luckily tomorrow is the last day so can fix it or return it. We’ll see.

presta

Guru
From the way the bracing is showing all the way round next to the rim, it looks like it's been ridden for miles with a flat tyre. I can't see why it hasn't already let go.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I'd contact the hire bike shop and ask what they wanted to do regarding getting it back to them. Its totally perished/had it. Is it worth your safety if it blows?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I would ring them and get them to bring a tyre and tube.

Tyre boots. I have known people use all sorts of things including leaves, which worked. My tyre boot is made from an empty toothpaste tube.

AndyRM

XOXO
Yep, that will go 'BANG' in the not too distant future and speaking from personal experience, it ain't much fun when it happens, even if you're on the flat.

OP
OP
E

Emanresu

Turned out the LBS was 10 miles away as I had to keep off the main roads for safety and sanity reasons. The 2 zip ties did the job.

The LBS sorted it while I went for coffee and was surprised when the total bil was only €20. The I saw the brand.

Bike gets collected tomorrow as it’s the end of the hire. Hire bikes do get hammered so I was expecting something but not a tyre bulge. Those zip ties are handy.

A before and after pic

Attachments

• IMG_4203.jpeg
    IMG_4203.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4204.jpeg
    IMG_4204.jpeg
    372.2 KB · Views: 30

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Good work. Since that problem clearly pre-dates your hiring of the bike, I trust you'll be requesting reimbursement for your expenditure in getting it fixed from the hire company..?

Last edited:
Top Bottom