how long should a wheelset last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
i broke a spoke, the lbs called to sell me a new wheelset as they say the spokes are brittle and the bike has a case of rusty nipples....ouch....also he said the hubs are buggered...technical term. But apart from a busted spoke yesterday it rides ok i felt...and whats the point in fitting new wheels as winter approaches?

Its done a few miles this bike...including the le jog recently and a couple of thousand since...ish.

How long should a set of wheels last realisticly when ridden a lot in various conditions?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i broke a spoke, the lbs called to sell me a new wheelset as they say the spokes are brittle and the bike has a case of rusty nipples....ouch....also he said the hubs are buggered...technical term. But apart from a busted spoke yesterday it rides ok i felt...and whats the point in fitting new wheels as winter approaches?

Its done a few miles this bike...including the le jog recently and a couple of thousand since...ish.

How long should a set of wheels last realisticly when ridden a lot in various conditions?
its difficult to say how long they should last, but one assumes a few thousand miles should be ok - but if one spoke has gone and they have a case of rusty nipples, more could go at anytime

i would replace if it was me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Rusted nipples - aren't they brass ?

How long is a piece of string. I wear rims out in about 18 months or 6000 miles of commuting in urban environment (lots of braking).

If the hub is rough, it's time for a new wheel (or a rebuild if you have hand built).

U

User6179

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-rac...m_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5360584220

Looking at these ...seem to be a reasonable set ..sort of affordable in the not to far off future...any good?

Got 8000 mile out of mine before I hit a boulder with back wheel and cracked the rim , still got front wheel and it has never needed trueing .

You usually can pick up last years model for £150ish, good wheels but spare parts can be hard to come by or overly expensive.

I was over100kg when I was using them and only ever snapped one spoke on rear wheel at about 5000 miles .

Brommyboy

Über Member
Spokes break because the wheel is not properly built! Unless tension is even, some spokes take greater strain, so fail sooner. I once had replacement wheels under guarantee which kept breaking spokes. In desperation, I had the wheel respoked by hand and that lasted until the rim wore, after nearly 33000 miles! These days most spokes are stainless steel and the nipples brass, so do not rust.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Nipples shouldn't rust, but on cheaper rims the eyelets are often some form of plated steel, which will rust when the plating is gone. By the time it has got that far, the friction of the spokes on the nipples and the nipples on the rim makes any adjustment very difficult.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
ok...edookate me...

fulcrum 3, 5, 7 ??

3's are more expensive so im guessing better...but im not a racer...more of a cruiser...also ive seen some of those campag khamsin wheels at half the price...are they half as good as the fulcrums then??

I'm ignorant of what is good/bad in a wheelset...i have a campag 10 speed cassette...and like to use durano plus tyres at 120psi..if it makes any difference.

i have no more than £250 to spend on a wheelset...are there any other better options in your experiences??

thanks.

U

User6179

ok...edookate me...

fulcrum 3, 5, 7 ??

3's are more expensive so im guessing better...but im not a racer...more of a cruiser...also ive seen some of those campag khamsin wheels at half the price...are they half as good as the fulcrums then??

I'm ignorant of what is good/bad in a wheelset...i have a campag 10 speed cassette...and like to use durano plus tyres at 120psi..if it makes any difference.

i have no more than £250 to spend on a wheelset...are there any other better options in your experiences??

thanks.

F7s are j-bend spokes , F5s are straight pull , F3s are light and possibly not as durable as first 2.

I would buy the F5s as they are the best value IMO

U

User6179

ok mate ta...fulcrums it be then:thumbsup:

If you go for low spoke count wheelset make sure they are straight pull like fulcrum 5s as being a big powerful rider like youself the j-bends spokes will start to fatigue quicker, IME with straight pull bladed spokes they simply don't fatigue the same.

Top Bottom