How long should an XT hub last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
My Deore XT hub failed completely when I was touring last week. It was only three years old and had probably done no more than 5,000 miles.

Should I have expected it to last longer than this?

Are there any warning signs I should look out for in future that will tell me that my hub is about to fail?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
When you say failed, how so? did the flange crack, bearings collapse, what?

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
By hub I mean the freewheel hub.

I was going up a steep hill, there was a sort of metallic snapping sound, and my legs were left spinning in air.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I've got XT hubs on my LHT, they've done just under 10,000 miles over 18 months and as far as i can tell they're still ok. I'd be interested to know if there are any warning signs of imminent failure too.

I've had XT hubs for years, but always had to be careful with grit getting into the hub and bearings as they don't have the best seals. I've had to replace freehub bodies about every 2 years or every 3000-4000 miles. But my wheels see a lot of offroad and muddy abuse.

Usually the pawls start to slip and fail to engage before the hub fails completely and you can see and feel the freehub body 'jiggle' on the hub if you move it with your hand.

battered

Guru
I think that a decent quality FWH should last more than 5000 miles unless you are using it in heavily muddy or wet conditions. IMO.

Chances of getting a similar answer from Shimano - 2 hopes mate, and one of them is Bob Hope.

Crankarm

Guru
3 years and 5,000 miles some might say that is plenty given that the hubs are made in Malaysia by a work force paid paltry rates. On what sort of terrain have you been riding your bike and how hard? Shimano's XT hub is supposedly the better of their hubs at £50-60 a hub? But they are not in the HOPE/DT/PHIL WOOD category for quality or reliability. So you get what you pay for. I think a replacement XT freewheel body is about £20-30.

Do you use a jet washer to clean your bike by any chance? If you do DON'T as the water jet can penetrate seals.

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
3 years and 5,000 miles some might say that is plenty given that the hubs are made in Malaysia by a work force paid paltry rates. On what sort of terrain have you been riding your bike and how hard? Shimano's XT hub is supposedly the better of their hubs at £50-60 a hub? But they are not in the HOPE/DT/PHIL WOOD category for quality or reliability. So you get what you pay for. I think a replacement XT freewheel body is about £20-30.

Do you use a jet washer to clean your bike by any chance? If you do DON'T as the water jet can penetrate seals.
It is a touring bike which is predominantly ridden on roads and cycle tracks. I tend to tour in hilly areas with a couple of full panniers so wondered whether that causes more wear on the hub?

My previous bike had a an old-style freewheel that was combined with the sprockets, and I only once ever had that fail after many years use.

While I was surprised that the XT hub did not last longer, my main reason for posting is to get a sense of how long it should last so it doesn't fail again while I am on tour.

I never use a jet washer - I always handwash.

screenman

Legendary Member
Blimey I must be lucky, I use and abuse mine, 6 full cross seasons all year round riding and training both on and off road, always washed with a jet wash and is now about 15 years old. You watch what happens next time I ride it after posting this.

segan

Is Shimano quality what it used to be? I have XT hubs on my MTB training hack and they are over 18 years old. The seals are excellent, the grease is always spotless when stripping down and re-packing. The hubs have done more miles than I can remember and I have just built the rear one into a new rim (which had worn through) for many more years of abuse use.

I clean this bike once a year whether it needs it or not! It lives happily under a thick layer of grease and waxoyl

Crankarm

Guru
Is Shimano quality what it used to be? I have XT hubs on my MTB training hack and they are over 18 years old. The seals are excellent, the grease is always spotless when stripping down and re-packing. The hubs have done more miles than I can remember and I have just built the rear one into a new rim (which had worn through) for many more years of abuse use.

I clean this bike once a year whether it needs it or not! It lives happily under a thick layer of grease and waxoyl

Interesting question. I suspect it might well prove not to be the case. Perhaps they realised their original XT components were too well engineered so in effect down graded them to fail sooner ie after a short period outside the warranty.

Anyway Shimano is crap compared to Campagnolo ;).

In the 1960's, 70s and 80s Volvo and Saab made cars with a view to them lasting 20-30 years. Not now. Most vehicle manufacturers want their cars to fail sooner, obviously not 2 months after a 3 year warranty has run out as no one would buy them, but say after 8-10 years so consumers have to purchase another.

I think Shimano may have adopted the same strategy as I seem to remember another thread maybe on CC or elsewhere suggesting the new XT range was of reduced quality whether the grade of materials, hub flanges or free hub or seals I cannot remember but it wouldn't surprise me. I have a a 2 year old XT rear hub on one of my bikes but I don't ride it enough to say whether it has lasted well or not.

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
So if the quality of XT hubs are what they used to be, what would be a better choice hub a for touring wheel?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I've never had any problems with XT hubs. they just seem to last forever, but as it was the freehub that failed on your bike then i can understand that completely. IME Shimano hubs don't seem to like high torque loads. I don't think its a fault btw, just that if you subject any hub that don't like a lot of oomph being put through it will fail.

HOPE hubs have a good reputation, and might be better suited to your needs Danny

Top Bottom