How long should bike bits last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I managed a year before the chain, cassette and chainrings / cranks had to be replaced. Pprobably wore away because I was using the bike 4 days a week to commute, doing 20 miles a day - and for the first year I didn't keep the drivetrain clean and there was a nice buildup of grinding paste helping speed up the wear.

Now the chain is wiped down, dried and re-lubed after each wet ride, and once a week I make sure that the cassette and chainrings are cleaned up too. Coming up for a year since the last parts were replaced, and there's nothing like the wear that there was last year.

byegad

Legendary Member
Morrisette. Did they tell you how much this would cost?
I ask as this sounds rather like the tricks that car dealers pull. A Chain may need replacing at 18 months if iit has been neglected and/or the mileage is high. A chainset should outlast several well looked after chains.

snorri

Legendary Member
My annual cycle mileage is just about the same as my car mileage but I spend a lot more time and money on cycle maintenance. This p*** me off a bit as a car is quite clearly a more complex piece of machinery and could be expected to need more attention.

RedBike

walker said:
Are you doing 4k miles a month?

I'm doing about 300 a week. So it's a fairly high mileage. I'm afraid I ride in the rain alot (well it feels like it) and I don't clean /lubricate the chain anywhere near as often as I know I should.

I have a park tools chain guage. I tend to switch chains as soon as they're stretched. I could probably get another 3 or 4 months use out of them if I ran them until they started to slip.

Redbike has indirectly pointed to the most serious factor affecting chain and associated component life. If a chain is not kept clean and lubricated, it will wear MUCH quicker than one that is.

A paint brush, some warm water and washing-up liquid, some WD40 and a decent chain-specific lubricant will help your chain last thousands of miles.

Clean the major junk off the derailleur and chainset with a sharp implement. Brush soapy water liberally all over chainset, chain and mechs. Rinse off, repeat if necessary. When it's clean, rinse with fresh water, spray with WD40 to lift the water. Leave for a few minutes to dry off, then apply lube sparingly, a drop on each link and a drop at each moving part on the mechs.

Do that weekly and your chain will last a LONG time.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I do the sheldon shake. empty 2 litre fizzy drink bottle, bit of muckof, shake, hang to dry and relube. Only need to change the chain about once every 1 / 2 years (my mileage is 5000 miles yearly)

A SRAM powerlink helps enomously for chain removal (cannot believe I only recently found this gadget).

Maz

Guru
domtyler said:
I have just had to shell out for new wheels, new chain, new sprocket cassette, new headset, new bottom bracket, new brake blocks.
The rest I can understand, but why did the wheels need replacing? Were they no longer true, bent spokes or something? I don't get it. Excuse my ignorance.

Maz said:
The rest I can understand, but why did the wheels need replacing? Were they no longer true, bent spokes or something? I don't get it. Excuse my ignorance.

Rims wear out. I had one collapse recently. I got off to investigate why the brakes had started to rub, and the rim was disintegrating. Glad I checked as catastrophic failure on Elmers End Road was the likely next step. Rebuild cost £40 in my LBS.

Maz

Guru
Twenty Inch said:
Rims wear out. I had one collapse recently. I got off to investigate why the brakes had started to rub, and the rim was disintegrating. Glad I checked as catastrophic failure on Elmers End Road was the likely next step. Rebuild cost £40 in my LBS.
Rim wear, what with braking, over time I suppose. I never thought about that. Thanks, twenty".

Maz said:
Rim wear, what with braking, over time I suppose. I never thought about that. Thanks, twenty".

Yes it's the brakeing. Good argument for hub or disc brakes - it's then worth putting very good rims on your bike.

Mind you that rim had got its Long Service and Good Conduct medal long ago.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I expect my bits to last for ever. Haven't changed my chain in three years - and no plans to. Nor chainset or freewheel, come to that. 75 miles a week commuting into London, all weathers, pretty minimal maintenance. One thing I would recommend, and that's good chain lube. Prolink progold is my preferred tipple - best fiver I ever spent.

02GF74

Über Member
Twenty Inch said:
Rims wear out.

yes they do. if you do refgular peventative maintenenace you can spot the weakened rim being pushed out by tyre pressure.

I've had one rim break off :biggrin: and have hear stories of rims doing this and embedding themselves into the riders legs :smile:

Top Bottom