How long should typical bike tires last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacLean

How long shoud tires last on a bicycle?

Curious because during our high milage LEJOG training i can see more ware on my tires than I ever did on all my scappy bikes i owned as a kid...

How many miles can you expect to get out of bike tires roughly before they need binned?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Depends on the tyre. What are you using at the moment ?

MacLean said:
Well my tires are ones that come stock with the tricross which are these:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=42141&menuItemId=9304&eid=5098

Kinda stupid of me to think all bike tires will last the same time I guess!
My guess they'll last for ages (unless you leave them in the sun just ask sleekitcollie :biggrin:) Going by my experience my 37mm on the Hybrid are 7000miles old and still fine, the narrower tyres on the road bike tend to go around 2000miles. I guess the 32mm you have will be some where in between. However it also depends on other factors like as use, rider weight, etc.

OP
OP
M

MacLean

So for a car, you usually change em when the tred depth starts to get silly but what bout bikes. Their tread depth is already kinda silly to start with. So do you ride em until a big gaping hole appears then lol?

tyred

Legendary Member
MacLean said:
So for a car, you usually change em when the tred depth starts to get silly but what bout bikes. Their tread depth is already kinda silly to start with. So do you ride em until a big gaping hole appears then lol?

Basically yes. Or until they become so thin they puncture repeatedly or something cuts one.

You get an idea of what's worn after, my GP 4000's actually have little holes in them and when they're gone the tyre is worn no idea how successful these are though. I usually make the mistake of waiting till I start getting p'tures, (touch wood) I rarely do and tend to run them a bit longer than I should :biggrin:.

D

Deleted member 1258

With both my bikes I put a new tyre on the front every Autumn and put the old front tyre on the back. I'm doing about 5000 miles a year split between 2 bikes.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The Hutchinson 23s on my road bike have done about 1500 I think the back one will do about 2000 and the front one maybe 2.5 to 3 thousand miles.

I dont end for end them as I want the best tyre on the front as a front blowout is harder to control.

The Michelin City Pilots 32s on my commuter hybrid have done 2.5 thousand and look as if they arent even half worn yet.

Top Bottom