How long should tyres last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I replace mine when the I start getting more p*nct*r*s than has been normal or if there are really obvious signs of wear and tear and damage. Wear and tear I can live with, but not visits from the fairy.;)

2000/3000 miles doesn't sound too bad at all, what tyres are they?

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I had to replace the Continental Travel Contacts I put on my bike after about 5 months as they started puncturing once or twice a week, and any puncture hole became a split within a day or two. Totally useless for daily commuting.

I bought a set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and have never looked back. Looks like they'll be lasting me for years. I can ride through glass on the path with impunity, and I've lost the constant terror of having a flat every other day which was ruining the fun of cycling.

As has been said, first puncture tends to make me take a closer than usual look around both tyres.

A lot can depend on the condition of the road surface too. My tyres used to get wrecked in no time until I changed my commuting route to avoid the worst the roads had to offer.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I'd normally expect about 3000 on the rear, double that on the front (Conti Gatorskins)

The club record is 42,000 miles from a pair (and they died from sidewall damage, not tread wear)

Keith Oates

Janner
Roadie tyres are usually the ones with least miles in them, I wash mine after most rides and then look for cuts etc. If the cut is deep then I change but if not then a bit more. The rubber getting thin is easy to see and that for me is change time whether I'm getting punctures or not. The tyres on my MTB commuter have done 4000 miles and so far no signs of being worn out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
walker

walker

longers said:
I replace mine when the I start getting more p*nct*r*s than has been normal or if there are really obvious signs of wear and tear and damage. Wear and tear I can live with, but not visits from the fairy.;)

2000/3000 miles doesn't sound too bad at all, what tyres are they?

a set of michelin Krylion Carbon's.

They have been great but has been experiencing a few puntures recently. Ok sum were my fault and adding to much pressure and combining that with heated rims on fast down hill decents.

Maz

Guru
walker said:
I've done around 2000-3000 miles on my current rubber, how long should they last before I should considering replacing them?
Rubbers should be disposed of after a single use. They're designed that way.

mosschops2

Smokin Joe said:
Tyres should be replaced when you fancy a change of colour, generally every six months.

Do you mean grey/brown, back to black and white with a silver stripe??

That's the colour change I'd be expecting anyway!!

TimO

Guru
Like others have said, probably a few thousand miles on the back, maybe double on the front. That's for my Brompton Schwalbe Marathons, which being 16" tyres will wear out faster than larger tyres.

With any tyre when I start getting multiple punctures (ie more than one every 3 to 4 months) I'll look at the tyre, and often there will be gashes in the tyre. These tend to pick up small bits of glass which eventually puncture the inner tube. When repairing a puncture I'll typically find 3 or 4 other bits of glass in the tyre. Only very rarely do I get a puncture from a bona fide big sharp 'orrible object, most are just the little tiny bits of glass which gradually work there way in. When the tyre gets like that, that's when and why I bin it.

Top Bottom