How long????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

5 weeks ago - yes, five weeks, I took my nearly dead bike to a bike repair shop. The things needed to be done to it were - a) unbend a slightly bent rear hanger on the frame (they have a tool for this) b) replace the hubs with 8 speed campag ones c) add a new rear 8 speed campag mech d) add a new chain e) give the whole thing a service.

I just don't understand why it's taking so long and there's only so many times I can phone again - they say they just can't find the parts (I know the bikes is old so maybe this is a real issue) - is it worth going on ebay and trying to find the parts myself or just saying 'thanks very much' to the shop and going elsewhere?

Adasta

If you could find the parts and the LBS, after 5 weeks, still couldn't find them, then I would be inclined to go elsewhere anyway. Why should you do their job for them? If you source the gear and then take it to another LBS, at least you can tell them up front what you want to be ordered in.

Personally, I'd strongly consider taking my bike to another shop while mentioning to this one that they would be losing some easy money. 5 weeks is a long time to wait.

Classy. I suspect you are the victim of 'minimum order syndrome'

I'll bet the shop has a policy in place that they only ever order enough to achieve free delivery. All distributors have a minimum order value in addition to an order value/delivery cost scale. Minimum order might be £50 but costs to ship - free shipping might not apply until they've spent £100 or more. Trade prices mind you. It's unlikely that your piddly little order is large enough to acheive minimum order let alone free delivery. They accepted the bike for servicing on the chance that within a couple of weeks they'd have enough additional orders to go with it.

mr Mag00

rising member
been a victim of the minimum order syndrome a number of times and I refuse to take my bike there again and have in the past collected my bike and paid the work they have done. Also a victim whilst waiting for parts to fit myself from the LBS. online so much easier and a shame as it doesnt help your LBS

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Classy. I suspect you are the victim of 'minimum order syndrome'

I'll bet the shop has a policy in place that they only ever order enough to achieve free delivery. All distributors have a minimum order value in addition to an order value/delivery cost scale. Minimum order might be £50 but costs to ship - free shipping might not apply until they've spent £100 or more. Trade prices mind you. It's unlikely that your piddly little order is large enough to acheive minimum order let alone free delivery. They accepted the bike for servicing on the chance that within a couple of weeks they'd have enough additional orders to go with it.

That's interesting, didn't know this happens.

OP
OP
M

Melvil

If you could find the parts and the LBS, after 5 weeks, still couldn't find them, then I would be inclined to go elsewhere anyway. Why should you do their job for them? If you source the gear and then take it to another LBS, at least you can tell them up front what you want to be ordered in.

Personally, I'd strongly consider taking my bike to another shop while mentioning to this one that they would be losing some easy money. 5 weeks is a long time to wait.

Good point. Might well do this.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
There can be difficulties in getting things to fit. Eight speed Shimano bits (I know your bits are campag) are difficult to come by and I'm face with a dilemma now that my 8 speed Sora triple front mech has terminally failed. The new Sora nine speed mech won't work - I have a non standard set of rings and 8 speed Sora bits are rare and/or exhorbitantly priced. I might have to upgrade to nine speed chainset and STIs which is a very expensive way of replacing a £15 derailleur

Top Bottom