How low should I go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
65",67" & 71" fixed depending which tyres i'm running (23,32,35). i live in hilly rossendale and it's taken 6 months to finally master the 150rpm 6 mile down hills (13%), i was using brakes less and less as time went on. i need the lower gearing to get up some of the hills in the wind (but i do weigh 18 stone sometimes).

OP
OP
I

Ibbots

Got my off road single speed out at the weekend for the first time since last winter. After a bit of a run in period getting used to finding traction when climbing I found that I was actually climbing as well if not better than before. I'm going to continue "manning the eff up" and stick with the 70" on the commuter, though the recent wind has confirmed previous boasts about getting a bigger gear where premature - blown almost to a standstill at the top of my final climb home last night, today looks worse. If I survive the winter and get in some good beasting sessions over moors I might be in a better position for a bigger gear in spring.

Having said all that...just built a winter beast out of my old Inbred: 44/18 single speed running Marathon Winter spiked road tyres, about 65" I think. Now not quite sure why I felt the need to go for come spiked tyres, I have managed for the last 10 winters without. Still, it's another working bike bringing the stable back up to 5.

Keep it up, whatever gear you are pushing

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
I don't want to be flamed, but I used to tour on a 63", Kent, Surrey, Sussex, & Essex; some hills are short & sharp,
others drag on. I found it hard to keep up with the pedals going down the big ones, & still had to walk (yes, walk!)
up some of the steep ones. All in all, I had fun, but I went over to riding single speed, about a 59", & found it more
'relaxing'.

I think, in the 60's~70's, fixed tended to be around 69"~72" general riding, & about 80"~90" for the clubman.

Use what is 'right' for you; be that fixed or single; & enjoy your ride.

:hello:

Top Bottom