How many ball bearings needed to pack a headset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
As per the thread title. I have some new headsets and I want to remove the cages and pack them out with ball bearings. Approximately how many ball bearings do I need for 1 inch and 1 1/8 inch headsets?

Allow an extra to replace the one that will roll under a cabinet or work surface

Alun

Guru
If you "pack" them with ball bearings, there is the danger that the headset could partially seize when the bolts are tightened. Best to leave enough space to allow for some movement.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I'm going to venture a sensible, possibly even useful, answer.

Last time I took apart a headset with un-caged bearings, it had, I think, 25 in each race (top and bottom). It was a 1" threaded headset.

tyred

Legendary Member
I'm going to venture a sensible, possibly even useful, answer.

Last time I took apart a headset with un-caged bearings, it had, I think, 25 in each race (top and bottom). It was a 1" threaded headset.

That is my experience as well but there are oddities. My pre-war Elswick take about a billion 1/8" bearings top and bottom and my early 70s Pug uses 22.

Svendo

Guru
I disassembled and replaced the cartridge bearings with caged ballbearings in my integrated headset due to indexing in the ball race, and the lower-lower ball race being corroded to the crown race. I think I got 32 in. It wouldn't fit a whole number so it was an easy decision. I find you need at least 3 extra (see Cunelobin's post above).

23 top and 23 bottom, after I had hunted down every one of the little blighters, as I was expecting a caged setup.
I dare say 50 would squeeze in, but I don't suppose that's such a good idea. So I just reassembled the thing as I found it, not having a fresh set of bearings anyway.

Top Bottom