How many cycle 'offs' this year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Yes I know its only the 3rd week in january but having come off twice already I have a feeling its going to be one of those years ;)...groan

Managed to stay upright all last year but that was exceptional...its usually 2 or 3 x a year usually always off road
This time its in a car park and on a cycleway...i feel such a berk :biggrin:

1st one: bombing along a unlit cyclepath next to main road, dying for piss, go sailing into unlit car park, heads for corner which means bumping up high kerbs in pedestrian islands, fails to see metal bollard till last moment front wheel glances, straight over the bars.... nasty scab and brusies on thigh...pillock

2nd one
Last night, riding up narrow grass-verged cycleway, path blocked by women and kids group, swerve onto grass to avoid back onto path , very low kerb twixt grass and cycleway hidden by grass.... front wheel hits it at oblique angle....down i go on the other side....lump on thigh and sore wrist...pillock

:angry:

Aint Skeered

Crashed on the ice a couple of sundays ago, bringing two other ridres down with me.
The Dura ace groupeset is now a few grams lighter through, thanks to the road surface grinding off the high spots!
Nice bit of road rash as well. My wife has been moaning that she has to keep washing the bedding to remove the bloodstains.

JamesAC

Fell off, or rather on, or possibly over, last week.

I was walking along the pavement with my bike (one way street going the wrong way, so as a Good Citizen I walk my bike on the pavement). Got to the back gate of my Place of Shirk, and there's a car just about to drive in. So I attemp a galloping mount. But a combination of strong wind (of the meteorological variety), wet and stiff overtrousers and a bit of a camber mean that the bike and I follow different trajectories. In my case, straight into a deep puddle.

I sprained my right wrist (my wife had to do everything for me:biggrin::biggrin: and the index finger of my LH (which still hurts).

However, my waterproofs lived up to their name!

domtyler

Über Member
Just the one, on Ice, on the way to nursery with the little one on the back!!!

Not good. Any hint of bad weather now and she doesn't go near the bike. This morning she was so eager to get on the bike that she went up in her seat about twenty minutes before we left just to sit there swinging her feet and 'singing'! :biggrin:

OP
OP
GaryA

GaryA

Subversive Sage
domtyler said:
Just the one, on Ice, on the way to nursery with the little one on the back!!!

Not good. Any hint of bad weather now and she doesn't go near the bike. This morning she was so eager to get on the bike that she went up in her seat about twenty minutes before we left just to sit there swinging her feet and 'singing'! :angry:

:smile:
How old is your young-un Domtyler?
Mine is 5 1/2 months and as soon as the weather gets better i'm looking for a cycle seat for him...I'm assuming they have to be able to sit up themselves before then which should be soon.. relief to give my shoulders a rest from that baby carrier anyway ;):biggrin:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
None thus far (despite the best efforts of the pillock in the grey van this morning, grr...).

On seeing the thread title, I worried it was going to end up like some sort of macabre spread betting - e.g. "This year, I predict I'll have 5 offs!"

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Gary Askwith said:
Mine is 5 1/2 months and as soon as the weather gets better i'm looking for a cycle seat for him...I'm assuming they have to be able to sit up themselves before then which should be soon.. relief to give my shoulders a rest from that baby carrier anyway ;):biggrin:
Soon as their neck is strong enough to hold head up without undue 'nodding', then you should be OK. That's the baby, not you. :angry:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Had a large off in a monsoon during this years manchester-blackpool.
puddle on a pothole at 25mph. cue front wheel separating from rest of bike, bit of a blackout and sliding on me back for about ten yards in front of a hard-braking audi. Big hole in me bum and a stem-shaped indent on my cheek.

still finished the ride though.:biggrin:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
none so far, although i underestimated my braking distance downhill and in the wet, with about 6" between me and the lorry in front at the end. also, a near clipless incident waiting at a crossing. :biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Only one 'off' last year, going through a big "puddle" (ie a small lake) on my mtb in the middle of nowheresville, with no witnesses except some geese.

Mortiroloboy

Three so far this year, two on ice, one an embarrasing clipless moment :blush:outside a busy shop:ohmy:, where the group had stopped because someone had p*nct*red, I just had a complete senior moment:blush:, can't really remember how I did it, but just remember being on the floor with people trying hard to stiffle laughter!! Hopefully that's my quota used up?

U

User482

Came very close last night - the Bath end of the Bristol/ Bath cycle path had flooded, and I only just managed to keep the bike going forward and out the other side.

I shall be going MTBing at the weekend and expect to fall off lots.

domtyler

Über Member
Gary Askwith said:
Mine is 5 1/2 months and as soon as the weather gets better i'm looking for a cycle seat for him...I'm assuming they have to be able to sit up themselves before then which should be soon.. relief to give my shoulders a rest from that baby carrier anyway :tongue::biggrin:

She is fourteen months now but has been going on the bike since about nine months. I know what you mean about the carriers, especially once they start getting more weighty.

I just bought the cheapest Hamax seat, the Kiss I think it is. You can get more expensive ones but you are only paying for slightly more padding etc. she has never seemed uncomfortable in this one! The safety features are all there, i.e. the seat needs to totally go round her head in case of an off. When I had mine, she had pulled the helmet off just before going down the road!! It was the seat that stopped her hurting herself. Also you need a strap and buckle that needs two hands to undo, i.e. childproof, otherwise she will soon learn how to have that out.

Don't expect any special treatment from motorists once you have yours on the back though, they will still overtake with inches to spare and then cut in on you. :tongue::angry::angry: Despite this it seems to be one the highlights of her day! :biggrin:

Top Bottom