How many gears do we really need on a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kajjal

Guru
Personal preference and range of gears needed for top speed and hill climbing. On my 2 x 10 mountain bike it works well, on my 2 x 11 mountain bike great uphill but otherwise find there are too many gears on occasion. On road 2 x 11 works well.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
As many as you need to get up where you are riding. We only had less gears in the past as they did not have the design to fit more.
My latest Specialized is a 1 x 12 with a 50T cassette and I will need them all in July for the Pan Celtic Race

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Wot, you mean you could manage with none?

Why not?
1716751103171.png

Jameshow

Veteran
I have 10s cassette on simer bikes and 9spd on winter, beyond that it goes silly expensive imho. Also not comparable either so a pain too.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's still a single speed!

Here's my take, I could be wrong: A Single Speed on a regular modern bike is still geared because it has a ONE gear and one gear ratio. I converts high rpm input to lower rpm output.

An Ordinary, however, is ungeared. It has NO gears. There's no rpm conversion. It's a direct connection with no conversion of rpm or torque.

Proper engineers, however, may point out that I'm wrong because the length of the pedals and diameter of the wheel convert torque. Whether that's a genuine "gear", I don't know.`

Every bike that I own, except for my 1 by 12 gravel bike has a triple chainset. I've ridden many seriously hilly Audax events and other hilly challenge rides such as The Wild Wales Challenge and Danny Mason's Shropshire Highland Challenge. My bottom gear has always been a 28 tooth chainring with a 34 largest sprocket at the back. I've still occasionally had to walk climbs such as The Devils Staircase or the Bwlch y Groes.
Highest gear is usually 50 by 13 which is only really used when descending. Lots of gears mean that there's always a good chance of finding a nice pedalling cadence whatever the terrain.

classic33

Leg End Member
Here's my take, I could be wrong: A Single Speed on a regular modern bike is still geared because it has a ONE gear and one gear ratio. I converts high rpm input to lower rpm output.

An Ordinary, however, is ungeared. It has NO gears. There's no rpm conversion. It's a direct connection with no conversion of rpm or torque.

Proper engineers, however, may point out that I'm wrong because the length of the pedals and diameter of the wheel convert torque. Whether that's a genuine "gear", I don't know.`
The wheel size is the gear. Leading to "gear inches" used on safety bikes.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur

Well, if I say that my fixed has a 67" gear, you will be able to guess that I'd be unlikely to cope with the same gear/wheel-size on an ordinary (in fact I would want around 56" - and the contemporary advice was to gear down a couple of inches to improve your 'spurt').

Well, if I say that my fixed has a 67" gear, you will be able to guess that I'd be unlikely to cope with the same gear/wheel-size on an ordinary (in fact I would want around 56" - and the contemporary advice was to gear down a couple of inches to improve your 'spurt').

Thorn tandem 1X14 Rohloff
Thorn Mercury 1X 14 Rolloff
Fixed choice of two sprockets
E-bike 1X 8

Cross chaining - with the 1x12 MTB setups the chain is now 5 cogs off the centre line on each side.
Are the chains now more flexible?
A bloke who sometimes rides with us has an expensive bike with electronic shifting. I noticed the other day he was in the largest sprocket and the big chain ring. I didh not mention it to as he is a bloke who always knows everything but is cross chaining no longer an issue with more flexible chains?

Top Bottom