How many more link(s) ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Guitars and Bikes

The 10 spd shimano 11-36 cassette I was asking about in another thread is due to arrive friday. I use 111 links for the 11-32 I am currently using. How many more links would I need to use the 11-36 cassette and do you think I need to use a wolftooth for use with my 5700 105 medium cage rear derailleur ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Guitars and Bikes

LOL nobody know how many link(s) I will need to add or whether or not I need to use a wolftooth with my RD ?

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'd add 2 links and then check the crosschain positions with the bike in a stand before riding.

You may get away without a wolf tooth. Depends partly on what chainset you have.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You'll likely get away without using the Wolftooth. Maybe need to fiddle with the B screw a bit.

Have you visited the Bassist and Guitarist's thread yet in Hobbies and Interests?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
There’s plenty of videos online on how to determine the correct chain length.
Don’t feed the chain through the derailleur, wrap the chain around the 36t rear & 50t front, overlap by one link and split the chain there.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I always thought it is big to big (not through the RD)+ 2 links @Spiderweb ?
Sorry, I maybe wasn’t clear, I add one link then the quick link to join so as you mention, big to big plus 2 links.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I know that formula, I've even used it. But what bugs me is that it doesn't take into account the cage length. Wouldn't a long cage mech need more chain than a short? Or is the difference not significant?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Length of cage has no bearing on required chain length: just large/large plus one (inch) link.
A longer cage offers more 'wrap' capacity, which the OP will need if 50-34 and 11-36 (and even then way outside "medium cage" specs).
This just means the chain will experience interference when in small and small sprockets and say 'ffs shift to large ring' or similar noise.
The wolf tooth Q is to cope with the dinner plate large sprocket - I have no idea whether needed.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I see that you are now selling a Wolftooth and an 11-40 cassette... Does that mean you tried both cassettes, and decided that the 11-36 turned out to be better for you and that it works well without the Wolftooth? :whistle:

Top Bottom