How many of you build your own bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jhawk

Veteran
Hi all,

Just as a matter of interest, how many of you build your own masterpieces?

How many of work in the bike industry? Do you own your own LBS, sell your own brand of bicycles?

Just interested is all, having seen some very neat builds on my other cycling forum that I frequent - bikeforums.net

Maybe you all could share some pictures of your builds?

Cheers,

Jack.

raindog

er.....
Do you mean frame building?
Or putting the bike together?
I've "built" both my current road bikes from bits lying around, bits I've had given me and yet more bits I've bought, but there's not much too it really - it's like slotting Lego together. ^_^

here's one of them
(click to enlarge)

Alan-sBIKE.jpg

crazyjoe101

I've not gone for a self built to begin with but I think after having the hassle of looking for a good geometry, crank length, colour, spec and price it could be easier to source the components seperately and build from scrath. I'm not sure how this would affect the end price but that little extra would probably be worth it for a bike that would probably be good to go for a few years without having to swap bits out.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have bought a frame which a friend is going to build for me (my contribution will consist of tea making, pizza purchase and I may pump up the tyres once done :whistle:)

I could have bought the bike off the peg as the build will undoubtedly cost me more - but I would have needed to change the bars, tape and stem, possibly crank length. The key driver was that I didn't want Shimano gearing (as braking from the hoods doesn't work well given the size of my hands) so I am going for SRAM rival. I could have stuck with the cheaper Apex but I thought what the hey, planning on keeping this bike for a while :smile: I am only using new components but have spent time getting them for the best price

Top Bottom