How many of you that travel with work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Kirstie said:
I hate eating alone when away with work. It's worse if you're female because you get a lot of unwanted attention/stares etc.

So take away in the room it is for me, and exploring only in daylight.

This struck me the other day, a colleague is going on a course that I was on earlier this year, so I was automatically reccomending a lovely little pub with real fire, good beer and WiFi not fsr from the Hotel

She said the same thing - does not like going into pubs on her own for the reasons you give.

not read the rest of the thread but when ever i went away on business on my own i made a point of eating the best meal that the expense cap would allow. Best I recall on my own was the Piersland in Troon just wonderful. however the best meal i've ever had was on a business trip to Manchester at the White house in Prestbury, sat on a table next to Ken Barlow off of the Street not that that is something to brag about.

Windy

gbb said:
You may be able to relate to this RT, but a friend of mine drives trucks from N.Ireland to the continent. He often stops off overnight in a secure hauliers yard near Peterborough...but he can't leave his truck ;) (valuable loads)

Now that would drive me nuts. He's only 8 miles away from us when he's there...and can't even visit us for a meal, or even just a cup of tea.

That's not much fun. While I don't mind staying with the lorry sometimes, I do feel that if they want me to be the security guard, they have to pay me a good deal more for a night out. As far as I'm concerned (and I'm backed up by the law on this) the daily rest is time you're free to dispose of as you like. Personally, I don't like trying to dissuade knife wielding thugs from accessing my trailer. No matter how valuable the load is, it's not as valuable as me!

At risk of taking this off topic, I once took Ms RT away to Scotland with me in the truck on one of my weeks away. We'd only been together a month or so at the time. Anyway, the second night was her birthday, so we parked up on teh harbourside at Arbroath and went to the Ship Inn for a nice meal and a couple of pints. By 11pm I was asleep in the bottom bunk when I felt the cab moving around. Yikes, I thought, someone's nicking stuff off the trailer. I best check the cab's locked. Still half asleep, I rolled out of the bunk and ... Bloody hell! The door's open! And someone's trying to get in! Fully awake now, and with my head full of visions of marauding Scotsmen in kilts, I pulled the door shut for all I was worth. There was a puzzled knock on the door, and I gingerly drew the curtain back only to see Ms RT standing next to the cab in her underwear wondering why I wouldn't let her back in. Sometimes I wonder what she sees in me.;)

gbb

Legendary Member
Oh, how topical this thread turns out to be. Just been told i'm off to Egypt (Alexandria i think) for a week with work.
Going out ?..not a chance. You stay in the secure factory in accomodation they have there, so no sightseeing for me B) Apparently it's not safe in the locality...and it's reputedly a sh1thole) :girl::sad:
Still, another place to tick off. Better get some books out !!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
They always exaggerate things in case anything happens when an employee nips off for a bit of sightseeing. Personally I always go walkabout, and you can't go to Alexandria without at least a visit to the bazaar at Attarine Souq.

gbb said:
Oh, how topical this thread turns out to be. Just been told i'm off to Egypt (Alexandria i think) for a week with work.
Going out ?..not a chance. You stay in the secure factory in accomodation they have there, so no sightseeing for me B) Apparently it's not safe in the locality...and it's reputedly a sh1thole) :girl::sad:
Still, another place to tick off. Better get some books out !!

Nonsense. I went for a wander around and a few pints in Paisley one night, for goodness' sake. How much worse can Alexandria possibly be?:smooch:

Top Bottom